"Ipoh-of Pomelos, Limestone Caves & Cantonese Food" Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh by Wild_Orchid

Ipoh Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 833 photos

Elephants safari? or water theme park?

With the development of The Lost World of Tambun theme park by the Sunway Group (also the developers of Sunway Lagoon Theme Park in Petaling Jaya), Ipoh has seen a revival of interest by local tourists out on for a short "Cuti-Cuti Malaysia" break. On weekends and school holidays, many would drive for 2 - 2.5 hours from KL or Penang to allow their kids the whole day to tire themselves out at the park and later treat themselves to a great meal at one of the famous Ipoh restaurants or Coffee shops.

Of Large Limestone Caves

One of the characteristics of Ipoh are the surrounding limestone caves. As you approach Ipoh on the NKVE you will see the limestone caves gleaming in the sun: they are so big you won't be able to miss them. As you can see from this picture, the Lost World of Tambun theme park was cleverly constructed within an enclosure of limestone caves and the final effect does look quite pleasingly natural.

New and Old Ipoh?

There is a new Ipoh and an old Ipoh. The newer part of Ipoh is located just immediately after you get off the North-South PLUS Highway, and that is where the bigger hypermarkets such as Tesco and Jaya Jusco are located. Much of the commercial activities have moved out of the older part of Ipoh towards the new part of Ipoh. For a tourist, I feel that the older part of Ipoh (see pics) is more unique and charming and if you follow me on my journey, I'll try to show you some of the highlights of old Ipoh town.

Where have all the Flowers Gone?

The best bean sprouts (taugeh), most delicious chicken rice and the prettiest girls are said to be from Ipoh. Do read my Local Customs tips to know more about this. In fact, did you know that actress Michelle Yeoh (a former Miss Malaysia, one time Bond girl, and currently engaged to be married to the Manager of the F1 Ferrari team) is from Ipoh? The latest Guess model, Amber Chia (she is famous for her sultry lips) was also born in Ipoh.

Need I say more? ;-)

Driving to Swiss Garden Resort, Lumut & Pulau Pangkor, we drove a little out of the way in order to take a drive through the town of Ipoh. I've also visited Ipoh a number of times previously on business trips but as usual, didn't get to see much of the place until I revisited in September 2005. It has certainly changed a lot.

This picture shows Taman Desa Pantai, Pantain Remis, a township near Manjung and Setiawan. Famous for its seafood, these districts are all within easy driving distance from Ipoh.

For more tips, please refer to my Pulau Pangkor pages

Living it up at the Hotel California?

One of the hotels where I stayed when I was a business trip in Ipoh was the Hotel Robin. It was a while back, but memories of that hotel are so vivid, I wrote two tips just to share them with you.

• Pros:Slow and easy lifestyle, good food
  • Cons:somewhat slower than most people would like
  • In a nutshell:A delightful town that you can retire to!
  • Last visit to Ipoh: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2005

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Good tips and directions. Will visit December 2010.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Two hours in a cave is more than enough for this outdoors person ;~)

• carrol_ng's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I'm a gal from ipoh, there're lots and lots of tasty food in Ipoh. Even curry mee, thr'r several style of curry mee that you couldnt find it in any other place.

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 2:43 AM

I remember well the water park! It was fun

• Sep 27, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Wow - the Ipoh page is one of your best..(and you have many great pages believe me;-) Ipoh ..hmm i have heard so much about the famous hor fun noodle dishes of the area.../

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 6:45 PM

♫Happy birthday to you♫♫

• xtcgodzilla's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 11:42 PM

I was told you can trek up there. Any idea if it's true ?

• May 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM

Wow - didn't know there's so much to offer at Ipoh! Great tips and yes, I want to try white coffee!

• imstress's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM

we went in search of Kluang Coffee last weekend but it was closed. would love to head to Ipoh for yim kook kai and white coffee next time ;p

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2006 at 9:20 PM

Wow!!! Pencil Rock.. I never hear or seen it before. Only thing I know Tambun is famous for is the biscuits and pomelos!!! :-) Great picture!!

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Ipoh