"Ipoh-of Pomelos, Limestone Caves & Cantonese Food" Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh by Wild_Orchid
Ipoh Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 854 photos
With the development of The Lost World of Tambun theme park by the Sunway Group (also the developers of Sunway Lagoon Theme Park in Petaling Jaya), Ipoh has seen a revival of interest by local tourists out on for a short "Cuti-Cuti Malaysia" break. On weekends and school holidays, many would drive for 2 - 2.5 hours from KL or Penang to allow their kids the whole day to tire themselves out at the park and later treat themselves to a great meal at one of the famous Ipoh restaurants or Coffee shops.
One of the characteristics of Ipoh are the surrounding limestone caves. As you approach Ipoh on the NKVE you will see the limestone caves gleaming in the sun: they are so big you won't be able to miss them. As you can see from this picture, the Lost World of Tambun theme park was cleverly constructed within an enclosure of limestone caves and the final effect does look quite pleasingly natural.
New and Old Ipoh?
There is a new Ipoh and an old Ipoh. The newer part of Ipoh is located just immediately after you get off the North-South PLUS Highway, and that is where the bigger hypermarkets such as Tesco and Jaya Jusco are located. Much of the commercial activities have moved out of the older part of Ipoh towards the new part of Ipoh. For a tourist, I feel that the older part of Ipoh (see pics) is more unique and charming and if you follow me on my journey, I'll try to show you some of the highlights of old Ipoh town.
The best bean sprouts (taugeh), most delicious chicken rice and the prettiest girls are said to be from Ipoh. Do read my Local Customs tips to know more about this. In fact, did you know that actress Michelle Yeoh (a former Miss Malaysia, one time Bond girl, and currently engaged to be married to the Manager of the F1 Ferrari team) is from Ipoh? The latest Guess model, Amber Chia (she is famous for her sultry lips) was also born in Ipoh.
Need I say more? ;-)
Driving to Swiss Garden Resort, Lumut & Pulau Pangkor, we drove a little out of the way in order to take a drive through the town of Ipoh. I've also visited Ipoh a number of times previously on business trips but as usual, didn't get to see much of the place until I revisited in September 2005. It has certainly changed a lot.
This picture shows Taman Desa Pantai, Pantain Remis, a township near Manjung and Setiawan. Famous for its seafood, these districts are all within easy driving distance from Ipoh.
For more tips, please refer to my Pulau Pangkor pages
One of the hotels where I stayed when I was a business trip in Ipoh was the Hotel Robin. It was a while back, but memories of that hotel are so vivid, I wrote two tips just to share them with you.
- Pros:Slow and easy lifestyle, good food
- Cons:somewhat slower than most people would like
- In a nutshell:A delightful town that you can retire to!
Apart from salt-baked chickens, Tambun pomelos, and fair maidens like Michelle Yeoh and Amber Chia, Ipoh is also famous... more travel advice
The charm of Ipoh lies in its preservation of the past. St Michael Insitution (see main pics) has its roots in the days... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Ipoh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ipoh-of Pomelos, Limestone Caves & Cantonese Food"
- "The City That Tin Built"
- "Ipoh - Capital of Perak"
- "Welcome to Ipoh"
- "Ipoh city"
- "A Nostalgic Town"
- "Ipoh - Ngah Choy Kye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ipoh
- Hotels in Ipoh
- Transportation in Ipoh
- Nightlife in Ipoh
- Restaurants in Ipoh
- Shopping in Ipoh
- Warnings and Dangers in Ipoh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ipoh
- 21 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Ipoh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ipoh
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Mysterious Pencil Rock"
- Wrote a Review Ipoh's Famous "White" Coffee anyone? in Ipoh Restaurants
- updated a Ipoh Travel Page "Ipoh-of Pomelos, Limestone Caves & Cantonese Food"
- Commented on one of gnh's Ipoh travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos