"The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching by Wild_Orchid
Kuching Travel Guide: 797 reviews and 2,084 photos
Wild_Orchid's recommended Walking Tour-
(tour begins at the Holiday Inn Hotel)
Your tour begins with a short stroll to the Choon Choon Cafe for a quick breakfast of delicious Sarawak Laksa washed down with a cup of robust and fragrant local Malaysian Coffee. Fortified, you are now ready for a brisk walk to the nearby Sarawak Museum. Here you may spend one to two hours to find out about the interesting history & culture of the people of Sarawak.
Next you may want to capture the sparkling beauty of the Mosque on the Old Quarter on film. On the next street you will find India Street where money lenders and traditional businesses continue to flourish.
Continue your walking tour all the way to the Kuching Waterfront. Now it is time to let your tired feet have a rest. Why not have a drink at a cafe or at the stalls, before hopping on a tambang across the Sarawak river to take in the sights of the beautiful Astana Palace (current residence of the Yang Di Pertua Negeri) and Fort Margherita. If you have more time, you might want to visit the Orchid Gardens. After that, take the tambang back across the river and take a short stroll to the nearby Old Court House & Brooke Memorial. Feeling peckish? Drop by the Chinese Temple on Carpenter Street for some kolo mee, enroute take in the sight of the Old Post Office.
Your last stop, the Main Bazaar for a spot of antique and curious shopping. On your return journey to the Holiday Inn, you might want to visit the the 150 year old Tua Pek Kong Chinese temple.
FOOTNOTE: VT'er Muddybok said that he got lost, but I assure you that this Orchid Walking Tour is very do-able, but you'd have to walk quite fast. LOL! Of course, if you take more time and do the tour over two days, you will see much more. Of course, for those who are really tired, grab a taxi. (smile) Whatever it is: Just Don't miss it !!
On my recent trip back to the fabulous cat city, I decided to go further out into the country-side. I found a few nice beaches that I wanted to share with my readers. I have placed these under my Negeri Sarawak tips.
With greenery all around, and a riverside that meanders around the city, Kuching is certainly peaceful, serene and extremely livable.
The pics shows Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman on the left and Jalan Padungan on the right, while the light blue bit on the top left of the pics is the Sarawak River.
As there is hardly any traffic jam, my friends, local Kuching-ites who work in town have the luxury of driving home for a home-cooked meal, if they feel like it.
The mornings begin early with the sunrise at around 6.30 am, and because there is no traffic jam, after leaving work, there is still an hour or two of daylight left for a game of badminton or football with friends. Or perhaps join the kids for a swim at the Sarawak Club! If you want some "life-work balance", this is the city for you!
If you have time, do check out the Satok Weekend Market on Saturday afternoon and Sundays. Specialities include gourmet delicacies such as sago worms, unnamed sticky and weird forest fruits and ferns, robust yellow egg-plants, and of course the more mundane and common mangoes, bananas, rambutans and durians.
I've visited Kuching a number of times over the last few years and it grows and changes, but its core is always the same. Proud of their unique heritage, Kuching's various ethnic groups continue to celebrate their way of life through festivals and dances. Visit http://www.sarawaktourism.com for more information on festivals and events.
With a pleasant combination of the old and the new, and trees and greenery everywhere, Kuching is that perfect place where you can visit and revisit, time and again!
The character of Kuching is in its riverside. The Sarawak River was extensively used for transportation in the old days, and is still used to this day. Pay less than RM1.00 (not even USD$0.20) for a ride on the tambang across the river.
Take a joy ride to visit the nearby attractions such as the Astana (the current Governor's Official Residence) or Fort Margarita and the nearby Orchid Gardens (one of my personal favourites-heheh).
- Pros:very lovable, livable and pleasant! no traffic jams
- Cons:could be a bit slow, with lack of nightlife
- In a nutshell:if you're seeking a stress-free livable city, this is it!
This charming little park deserves an entry on my page simply because of the imposing statue of Admiral Zheng He (Cheng... more travel advice
One of two old temples located along Carpenter Street. For a moment of solitude, you are welcome to enter it's dimly lit... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cat City"
- "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
- "A Quick Two Day Stay In Beautiful Kuching"
- "Kuching - City of Cats"
- "KUCHING WATERFRONT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Nightlife in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 32 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Kuching travel pages
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- Wrote a Review Friendship Park in Kuching Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Kuching Travel Page "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
Photos in KuchingSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos