Kota Kinabalu Shopping Tips by Wild_Orchid Top 5 Page for this destination
Kota Kinabalu Shopping: 68 reviews and 68 photos
treasures from the sea
An interesting market, with stalls lined up in rows, almost like rabbit warrens, but with treasures and souveniors waiting to be discovered.
A wide range of seawater pearls, handicraft, bags handmade from natural fibres, colourful pareos/sarungs, t-shirts, all at different prices & quality so you would need to look around and compare before buying.
Tip for supershoppers: starting prices are always very high and you would need to bargain it down by about 1/2 or even less. Much cheaper than at regular shops, but quality & finishing could be different.
What to buy: I bought a beautiful strand of small salt-water pearls (not perfectly round, but shaped like small seeds, off-white colour). Quoted price was RM60, and at the end, I paid RM50/US$12 for two strands! I can wear them twisted against each other or separately to create a longer strand. They match well with casual tops or with formal office wear. Pearl earrings, marked at RM45, but I paid only RM25/US$6 for the pair. I also bought some wooden household decorations.
I did not drive a hard bargain and was satisfied with my purchases. Everyone's got to make a living.
Downside: It can be quite warm and rather dark inside the markets. This is Asia, do be prepared to sweat a little. :-)
What to pay: Different quality at different prices. Worth looking around a bit before commiting to your purchase. RM20-30 for a pair of salt-water pearl earings, various prices for crystal bracelets, but some could be fakes, so buy them at your own risk.
Address: Filipino Market by the KK Waterfront/Esplanade
Directions: Within walking distance from Promenade Hotel.
By taxi (approx RM12) from Shangri-la Tg Aru. You can also take a bus from near Shangri-la Tg Aru (runs about every 1/2 hour).
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (25)
- See All Some hot Beach Action (although there's...
- Local Dances
- Fish Attack!
- See All Gayana Island-Chilling Out
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "SABAH & KOTA KINABALU"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 26 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 60 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- updated a Kota Kinabalu Travel Page "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Al fresco, Fresh Seafood AT SEDCO"
- Commented on one of WStat's Kota Kinabalu travel pages
- Wrote a Review Some hot Beach Action (although there's no beach) in Kota Kinabalu Nightlife
Photos in Kota KinabaluSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos
- Manukan Island- 12 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Poring Hot Spring- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Lok Kawi Wildlife Park- 5 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Gaya Street- 8 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Signal Hill- 11 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Tanjung Aru Beach- 8 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Mount Kinabalu- 16 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Canopy Walk- 6 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Sabah Museum- 5 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Jesselton Point Waterfront- 3 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Kota Kinabalu Things to Do