"My Ancestral Hometown-Baile an Mhóta" Ballymote by happyhourkid

Ballymote Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 30 photos

Ballymote, County Sligo

To the average tourist just passing through, Ballymote looks like just any average 'off the beaten path' old Irish market town with a few things here and there to see and do. For me, it's literally my home away from home.

Ballymote is the town of my ancestors, where I can trace my grandfather and his father before him and his father before him and so on. All the way back to the 1600's. I don't know if it is because of this why I always feel welcomed to this very small town, or if its people-many of whom are deep rooted in Ballymote as well-are just naturally welcoming people.

I think it's the people. But even that said, being able to visit the very place where my family has progressed for hundreds of years I'm sure helps a lot!

Ballymote offers a relaxed setting away from the hectic pace of modern Ireland. Its most prominent landmark is Ballymote Castle, which was built in 1300.

The town is home to several national monuments including Brother Walfrid Kearns, a Ballymote native who founded Glasgow Celtic Football Club. The latest monument was unveiled in August 2006 by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and is dedicated to another native of the town, Brigadier General Michael Corcoran, a friend of the late US President Abraham Lincoln and hero of the American Civil War. Part of the steel from the World Trade Center disaster is enclosed in this monument.

Thursday, the traditional market day, sees the livestock auctions taking place along with a host of stalls selling flowers, fresh vegetables, clothes and much more.

A new addition to Ballymote is Eagles Flying, a sanctuary for eagles, hawks, owls and other species. Its pet’s zoo and daily flying demonstrations are a sight to behold.

The town’s nine-hole golf club, caters for all golf lovers in its parkland setting.

• Last visit to Ballymote: Jan 2006
  • Intro Written Sep 14, 2006

Comments

happyhourkid Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Ballymote

Have you been to Ballymote?