"Kashgar" Top 5 Page for this destination Kashgar by SallyM
Kashgar Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 273 photos
Kashgar is the largest oasis city in Chinese Central Asia and has long been important for its strategic location, commanding the passes that led travellers along the silk routes to India, Persia and Central Asia.
During the 19th century it was important during the 'Great Game', with the rival English and Russian consuls watching each other warily.
Kashgar is particularly well-known by travellers today for the Sunday bazaar. The animal market is a little way out of the town centre, and provides a fascinating glimpse of central Asian life (though don't go expecting that you will be the only tourist!)
Other attractions for travellers include driving up the Karakorum Highway to Karakul lake, or taking the Torugart Pass into Kyrgyzstan.
- Pros:Good base for trips into the mountains
- Cons:The main bazaar is a bit disappointing
- In a nutshell:Interesting melting pot
This is the largest mosque in China, and can accommodate 10,000 worshippers. It was built in 1442 and is located in the... more travel advice
Everyone who comes to Kashgar has heard of the famous Sunday bazaar. The animal market is a little way out of town.... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Kashgar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashgar 1992//Kashgar 2007"
- "Kashgar! (or 'Kashi' - Chinese name for Kashgar)"
- "History Of Kashgar"
- "Silk Road Part ii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kashgar
- Hotels in Kashgar
- Transportation in Kashgar
- Nightlife in Kashgar
- Restaurants in Kashgar
- Shopping in Kashgar
- Warnings and Dangers in Kashgar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kashgar
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Kashgar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kashgar
Photos in KashgarSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 39 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 24 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos
- Torquay Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos