"Urumqi" Top 5 Page for this destination Urumqi by SallyM
Urumqi Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 348 photos
Urumqi is the capital of Xinjiang Autonomous Uighur Province. It is a very new city - the cluster of skyscrapers comes as something as a shock after driving through the desert from Turpan.
The tourist highlight is probably the museum where you can see the mummies found in the Taklamaklan desert.
Urumqi has the dubious distinction of being the city anywhere in the world that is furthest from the sea, a fact which worried me slightly when I was served prawns in a local restaurant!
- Pros:Great museum, and nice park
- Cons:Not much in the way of historical buildings
- In a nutshell:Skyscrapers in the middle of the desert
There is a good view of the city from the Red Hill Park. For an even better view, you can go up inside the bit pagoda... more travel advice
Our local guide more or less obliged us to go to two government-run souvenir shops on our way to the airport, saying... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Urumqi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Urumqi - The furthest city from the sea"
- "Cold...very cold...but warm inside!"
- "visit xinjiang"
- "hollyjeanz's new Urumqi Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urumqi
- Hotels in Urumqi
- Transportation in Urumqi
- Nightlife in Urumqi
- Restaurants in Urumqi
- Shopping in Urumqi
- Warnings and Dangers in Urumqi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Urumqi
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Urumqi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urumqi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 38 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 46 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Torquay Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos