"Orinoco Delta" Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro by SallyM
Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 75 photos
We spent three days at an Eco Lodge in the Orinoco Delta. My travels generally involve pottering round museums and cafes in towns and cities, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
I found that the Orinoco Delta Lodge was surprisingly homely, with a bar and dining area and individual cabins with private facilities. The cabins have open sides with mosquito nets and roofs made from moriche palm leaves. Ours turned out to be more on the Orinoco than by it, as it was on wooden stilts above the water.
The point of visiting the Delta is of course to see the wildlife, and on our expeditions by boat and canoe we saw a wide range of birds, including hummingbirds, ibis, toucans and parrots, a turtle, red howler monkeys, capuchin monkeys, a giant river otter and a pink river dolphin.
In the morning, parrots commute across the river from the jungle on one side, where they roost, to the more open land on the other side, and in the evening they return. At sunset, you can watch them flying across the river, two by two.
Our lodge was also home to a range of animals including dogs and cats and a blue and gold macaw called Rumba. Rumba was quite tame, and thought nothing of swooping down to grab the remains of your lunch or share your coffee.
- Pros:Unspoilt, great wildlife
- Cons:Mosquitoes and other biting insects
- In a nutshell:Do visit - but don't forget the insect repellent!
For some reason, I had expected that the motor boats on the Orinoco Delta would go slowly, like on the Norfolk Broads... more travel advice
A dugout canoe enables you to penetrate into the narrower channels. If you are lucky, someone else will do the paddling... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Orinoco Delta"
- Create a Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro Travel Page
- Things to Do in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- Hotels in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- Transportation in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- Restaurants in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- Shopping in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- Warnings and Dangers in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Territorio Federal Delta Amacuro
Photos in Territorio Federal Delta AmacuroSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos