"Tomsk" Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk by SallyM

Tomsk Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 169 photos

Somewhere Different...

'Where are you going for your summer holiday?' my colleagues asked.

'Tomsk, in Siberia' I would reply.

Seeing their baffled expressions, I would then have to explain why we had chosen to travel for 2.5 days on a train in order to spend 3 days in Tomsk.

It's certainly not an obvious holiday destination from the UK, but in fact, it was a very interesting place to visit and with surprisingly good food.

'The Oxford of Siberia'

As a university administrator, I was interested to find that Tomsk has no less than six universities. Education is the largest 'industry' in Tomsk.

The University of Tomsk was the first in Siberia to admit women. In the grounds are lots of imported species of flora and fauna.

History

Tomsk was founded in 1604. You can see the site of the original settlement/fortress on Resurrection Hill.

Tomsk is also known for its traditional 'wooden lace' architecture.

• Last visit to Tomsk: Jul 2010
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2010

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Interesting architecture! I had no idea of this place so far. But where is the Womble...?

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Lovely page Sally - haven't come across your pages before, but I'll be back.
    But what I really want to know is how a self-confessed Wombler could write on Tomsk without making the obvious link! Did he at least hitch a ride in your suitcase?
    Regards
    Cathy

• Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Beautiful wooden lace pic ;-)

• Nov 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM

wooden houses are the most interesting sight-seeing here I suppose

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Have not heard of this city, but have been impressed with your lovely photo's. I especially love Voznesenskaya Church.

SallyM

“"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive"”

Badges & Stats in Tomsk