"Bucharest: More Interesting Than the Guidebook" Bucharest by SallyM
Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,656 reviews and 4,345 photos
Arriving in Bucharest at New Year, the first thing we noticed was the Christmas lights, and specifically the Christmas trees. These were really impressive and put London's paltry efforts to shame.
The Millennium Tree in Piata Unirii was particularly impressive with its changing lightshow.
Well, yes, obviously in winter it is going to be cold, and we we came equipped with coats, boots, scarves etc. Even so, waking up one morning to find a foot of snow had fallen overnight was a bit of a shock.
Still, it gave us a great excuse for spending time in the many cafes serving delicious cakes.
Our guidebook to Bucharest was the most downbeat guidebook I have ever seen. It said "even its fiercest advocate would readily admit that when taken at face value Bucharest is Europe's most unappealing capital" and that "you probably aren't coming for the sights".
I think this is most unfair as there is plenty to see in Bucharest: the Casa Poporului; National Art Museum; Cismigiu Garden; Historical Museum; Romanian Atheneum and lots of other things that we didn't get around to in the time available.
We will be going back.
- Pros:Plenty to see within walking distance
- Cons:Can be very cold in winter
- In a nutshell:Don't believe the guide book
This is a popular cafe not far from the university. They do very nice cakes as well as light lunches, and have comfy... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos