"Bucharest: More Interesting Than the Guidebook" Bucharest by SallyM

Bucharest Travel Guide: 1,656 reviews and 4,345 photos

Christmas Trees a Speciality

Arriving in Bucharest at New Year, the first thing we noticed was the Christmas lights, and specifically the Christmas trees. These were really impressive and put London's paltry efforts to shame.

The Millennium Tree in Piata Unirii was particularly impressive with its changing lightshow.

It's Cold in Winter

Well, yes, obviously in winter it is going to be cold, and we we came equipped with coats, boots, scarves etc. Even so, waking up one morning to find a foot of snow had fallen overnight was a bit of a shock.

Still, it gave us a great excuse for spending time in the many cafes serving delicious cakes.

There are lots of things to see

Our guidebook to Bucharest was the most downbeat guidebook I have ever seen. It said "even its fiercest advocate would readily admit that when taken at face value Bucharest is Europe's most unappealing capital" and that "you probably aren't coming for the sights".

I think this is most unfair as there is plenty to see in Bucharest: the Casa Poporului; National Art Museum; Cismigiu Garden; Historical Museum; Romanian Atheneum and lots of other things that we didn't get around to in the time available.

We will be going back.

• Pros:Plenty to see within walking distance
  • Cons:Can be very cold in winter
  • In a nutshell:Don't believe the guide book
  • Last visit to Bucharest: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2009

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Nice tips and photos. I agree -- you can't always believe the guidebooks. I read a similar negative review about Helsinki, Finland before I visited there, and it turned out to a wonderful place. I'm sure Bucharest is also worth a visit. Cheers, Bill

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Hi! :) You've been to Bucharest exactly when the big snowfall happened on Jan 2nd :) I was in Austria and came back home on 4th :) I like Galleron cafe too, I go there to meet with friends, had one VT meeting there also :)

SallyM

“"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive"”

Badges & Stats in Bucharest

Have you been to Bucharest?

Latest Activity in Bucharest