"Alnwick" Top 5 Page for this destination Alnwick by SallyM
Alnwick Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 96 photos
The castle and gardens are the big attraction in Alnwick, but don't forget to check out the wonderful bookshop (complete with toy trains) and visit the church.
The teashops are good too.
The Percys bought Alnwick from the Bishop of Durham in the early fourteenth century. The bishop acquired it from William de Vescy in return for helping to make arrangements for his illegitimate son to inherit the rest of the family lands. There was a bit of a scandal at the time.
This long-suffering lady whose tomb can be found in Alnwick church is Isabella de Periton, the widow of William de Vescy.
The lion is the symbol of the Percy family.
You will see the emblem around the castle.
You may also see the odd cardboard cut-out of Harry Potter and friends, but they are not too intrusive.
I was very disappointed that my husband wouldn't buy me a broomstick, though!
- Pros:Lots to see
- Cons:Probably not for you if you don't like history, Harry Potter, books or gardens
- In a nutshell:Not just a castle
Well, this is the obvious thing to do in Alnwick. The castle has been the home of the Percy family since the fourteenth... more travel advice
Alnwick church is well worth a visit. There is believed to have been a church on the site since Saxon times, though the... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Alnwick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best place to live.....officially."
- "Alnwick - Garden, castle and lovely shops"
- "Day trip to Alnwick"
- "A Great Family Day Out-Alnwick Castle and Gardens"
- "Don't Miss Alnwick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alnwick
- Hotels in Alnwick
- Transportation in Alnwick
- Restaurants in Alnwick
- Shopping in Alnwick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alnwick
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Alnwick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alnwick
Photos in AlnwickSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos