"Aylesbury - more to do than you might think" Aylesbury by SallyM

Aylesbury Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 20 photos

County Town

Aylesbury is the County Town of Buckinghamshire, and has good road links. It is not generally thought of as a tourist destination, but in September 2003, I helped to organise a 'family friendly' social weekend for 70+ people based on the Holiday Inn, and found lots of things to do:

Aylesbury Town Centre: County Museum and historic walk
St Tiggywinkle's Wildlife Hospital
Chiltern Brewery
Waddesdon Manor
Quainton Railway centre
Bucks Goat Centre

Countryside

There are wonderful walks in the surrounding countryside. My favourite is a circular walk from Coombe Hill, which crosses grounds of Chequers, the Prime Minister's country residence.

• Intro Updated Mar 25, 2007

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I just checked the dates, unfortunately Thomas is up north when we are in the south. Maybe next time.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Thank you for this very informative page on Aylesbury. So you can meet Thomas, the engine? My grandson would love that - maybe I can take him one day. I'm looking for a nice place to spend a few days, since I had to cut short my planned trip. That's why I love your travel motto - I fully agreee, planning a trip can be almost as much fun as the trip itself.

• SallyM's Profile Photo
      May 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Thank you for visiting my page. Re meeting Thomas - this is only available on specific dates, as he travels to different railway centres around the country. You can find out when and where here: http://www.dayoutwiththomas.co.uk/

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2011 at 3:47 AM

Nice tips and photos. I like the look of that old steam locomotive.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

There seem to be quite a few places to visit there. Liked St Twiggywinkles and the Railway Museum. And to think that the only association I had had with Aylesbury was that of Aylesbury duck, the food rather than the bird itself. :).

• Mar 6, 2008 at 7:59 AM

We'll be staying here for a week... Any good (cheap but decent) restaurants in the area you would recommend?

SallyM Visits Here Frequently!

SallyM

“"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive"”

Badges & Stats in Aylesbury

Have you been to Aylesbury?

Latest Activity in Aylesbury