"Touring Albania" Albania by SallyM
Albania Travel Guide: 2,060 reviews and 5,633 photos
Having long wanted to visit Albania, we finally got around to booking a tailor-made tour through Regent Holidays. We had a chauffeur-driven Mercedes and guide/interpreter at our disposal for a whole week, during which we visited Tirana, Kruje, Durres, Berat, Saranda and Gjirokaster.
One of the highlights of the trip was visiting the ancient sites of Apollonia and Butrint. Apollonia was hard to get to - one of the roads was closed - but when we eventually found it, we had it to ourselves. My other half asked the caretaker of the small museum on the site (through our interpreter, Ilir) why so many statues were headless, thinking that maybe at some point they had been decapitated. The caretaker's response? "Because they have no heads".
It was almost a disappointment at Butrint to discover a group being given a guided tour - though it was hardly crowded by tourist standards.
- Cons:Litter, unreliable water and electricity supplies
- In a nutshell:Mountains, sea and ruins without the crowds
We saw lots of partially-built houses. All were patriotically flying the Albanian flag. They also had a doll (or even a... more travel advice
We almost didn't make it to Apollonia, as the road was closed and we had to find another route, slaloming between rocks... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Albania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The sleeping beauty is awake & has 7 leagues boots"
- "Bukur Albania!"
- "In The Land of the Eagles"
- "The most adventuros destination in Europe."
- "The lost country"
- "Europe's Last 'White Spot'"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Albania
- Hotels in Albania
- Transportation in Albania
- Nightlife in Albania
- Restaurants in Albania
- Shopping in Albania
- Warnings and Dangers in Albania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Albania
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Albania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Albania
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos