"Great Missenden" Great Missenden by SallyM
Great Missenden Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 38 photos
Great Missenden is a small village in the Chiltern Hills, Buckinghamshire, England. The area as been inhabited and farmed for several thousand years. Neolithic, Iron Age and Roman artefacts have been found in the parish. According to Domesday Book there were 42 people (and 500 pigs) living in Great Missenden at the time of the Norman conquest.
In 1133 Missenden Abbey was founded by Augustinian canons. The original building was rebuilt after a fire, and the site is now used for residential courses in a range of subjects from crafts to creative writing.
The countryside around is very pleasant for walking in. On Sundays in summer, cream teas are served at the Parish Church, so you can compensate for all the calories that you have just walked off.
The nearby village of Prestwood used to be known for its cherry orchards. Sadly, these are no more, but the local conservation group has set up a community orchard to preserve old varieties of fruit trees. Prestwood holds a steam rally on the first weekend in July each year.
Currently, Great Missenden is in the news as it is on the route of the proposed 'HS2' high speed rail link from London to Birmingham. The route will run mainly in tunnels and cuttings through the area. Local residents are campaigning against the proposals.
Its other current claim to fame is that the author Roald Dahl lived here for 37 years and the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre is located in the village. There are celebrations in the village with special events at the museum around his birthday in September.
Great Missenden and the surrounding area are also used for filming the TV series 'Midsomer Murders'.
This former garage in Missenden High Street has long since stopped selling petrol (since the price went up to £1 a gallon...!), but the pumps remain.
Fortunately Great Missenden is only 35 minutes from London by train!
- Pros:Attractive village, within easy reach of London
- Cons:Shortage of hotels in the area
- In a nutshell:Roald Dahl woz 'ere!
Each year there is a pre-Christmas event in Great Missenden High Street, often with a Victorian or Dickensian... more travel advice
La Petite Auberge is a small French restaurant (c.30 covers) at the quieter end of Missenden High Street. It doesn't... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Great Missenden Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Great Missenden
- Transportation in Great Missenden
- Restaurants in Great Missenden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Missenden
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Great Missenden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Missenden
Photos in Great MissendenSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 42 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue