"Great Missenden" Great Missenden by SallyM
Great Missenden Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 16 photos
Great Missenden is a small village in the Chiltern Hills, Buckinghamshire, England. The countryside around is very pleasant for walking in. On Sundays in summer, cream teas are served at the parish church, so you can compensate for all the calories that you have just walked off.
Its chief claim to fame is that the author Roald Dahl lived here. At certain times of the year the garden of his former house is opened to the public. The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre recently opened in the village.
Missenden Abbey, a medieval Augustinian abbey (rebuilt after a fire) offers residential courses in a range of subjects from crafts to creative writing.
According to the Evening Standard [8/8/2006] Great Missenden is one of the top five places to live in the South East of England. It only missed the top two because house prices are a bit high. The other criteria were good train service to London, good schools and interesting centre.
Currently, Great Missenden is in the news as it is on the route of the proposed 'HS2' high speed rail link from London to Birmingham. The route will run mainly in tunnels and cuttings through the area. Local residents are campaigning against the proposals.
Great Missenden and the surrounding area are also used for filming the TV series 'Midsomer Murders'.
This former garage in Missenden High Street has long since stopped selling petrol (since the price went up to £1 a gallon...!), but the pumps remain.
- Pros:Attractive village, within easy reach of London
- Cons:No hotels.
- In a nutshell:Roald Dahl woz 'ere!
Pot Deli at Great Missenden Station is a simply brilliant idea. It serves take-away portions of freshly-cooked healthy... more travel advice
How do you hide a trendy wine bar in a traditional village street? You put it in the shell of an old village pub - in... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Great Missenden Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Great Missenden
- Transportation in Great Missenden
- Restaurants in Great Missenden
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Great Missenden
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Great Missenden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Missenden
Photos in Great MissendenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos