"Paradise for bibliophiles" Top 5 Page for this destination Hay-On-Wye by SallyM
Hay-On-Wye Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 34 photos
Hay-on-Wye is famous for its bookshops. There are loads of secondhand bookshops, varying from specialist shops, such as "Murder and Mayhem" where you are unlikely to spot a bargain, but which has lots of rare first editions, to Hay Castle bookshop, where books are left in the open air on an 'honesty' system.
There are so many bookshops it is impossible to mention them all, but Addyman books (which also operates Murder and Mayhem and the Addyman Annexe) and the Cinema bookshop (based in the old cinema, not selling film books only) should not be missed.
Hay is also a great base for exploring the Welsh Marches.
It is a beautiful area for walking.
As well as local walks, there is the Offa's Dyke path, and from nearby Kington, you can follow the 'Mortimer Trail'.
The Rare Breeds farm and Owl Centre near Kington is well worth a visit. As well as various rare breeds of goats and sheep, they have a huge range of owls, including some hand-reared ones that enjoy being stroked by adult visitors. Note: their British owls are mostly 'rescue owls' who would not survive in the wild, but some of whom have bred successfully, with the chicks being released.
- Pros:Amazing selection of bookshops (and teashops)
- Cons:Whatever your book-buying budget is, it won't be enough.
- In a nutshell:Books, books, and more books.
Hay is famous for its bookshops, of which there are many. Some are antiquarian, specialising in rare and first editions,... more travel advice
I was attracted to this pub because of the literary connections of the name (the pub in Agatha Christie's St Mary Mead... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Hay-On-Wye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Books, Books and again: Books"
- "Little market town to book empire"
- "Paradise for bibliophiles"
- "Book Village"
- "When was I here?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hay-On-Wye
- Hotels in Hay-On-Wye
- Transportation in Hay-On-Wye
- Restaurants in Hay-On-Wye
- Shopping in Hay-On-Wye
- Warnings and Dangers in Hay-On-Wye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hay-On-Wye
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Hay-On-Wye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hay-On-Wye
Photos in Hay-On-WyeSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos