"High Wycombe - it's really not that bad!" Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe by SallyM
High Wycombe Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 125 photos
I read in one travel guide to the UK that Wycombe is a depressing town where you may have to change buses. Well, I make no apologies for the old bus station, which was very depressing. But a shiny new bus station was built as part of a massive new retail and leisure complex which opened in March 2008.
In the past, Wycombe has also been treated as a bit of a joke, with references in old sitcoms to Wycombe as a rather boring place:
For example "This is about as much fun as a wet weekend in High Wycombe" (Yootha Joyce in 'George and Mildred')
"I'm living in High Wycombe with a madwoman" (Tim Brooke-Taylor in 'You Must Be the Husband')
And Alan Partridge referred to a night of passion in the Queens Moat House in High Wycombe, a hotel that sadly does not exist. In the past, the town was rather short of hotels, but a couple of budget hotels (Premier Inn and Travelodge) have recently opened to add to to the choice of accommodation in the town centre.
In his book 'In Your Dreams', Tom Holt made High Wycombe the portal to the land of the Fey.
High Wycombe is now a university town, with the shiny new Bucks New University building.
And if you want another claim to fame, Terry Pratchett used to work for the local newspaper.
And Wycombe is unique in being the only town in the country to weigh the mayor each year to see whether he or she has put on weight at the taxpayers' expense. If only London did the same with Boris! "Crikey!"
*Stop Press* Wycombe has just (October 2013) been ranked as the 9th worst town in Britain in a new 'Crap Towns' book. However London is no. 1 and York is no. 5!
Wycombe is not really a tourist destination in its own right, but there are things to see and do if you know where to look. Historic buildings near the centre of the town include Pann Mill and the remains of a 12th-century hospital.
Situated in the Chiltern hills, about half way between London and Oxford, High Wycombe has a long history of furniture making, with people known as 'bodgers' turning chair legs for the famous Windsor chairs in the local beech woods. Sadly, most of the factories are gone now, but you can find out about the history of the furniture industry in the Wycombe Museum.
Two National Trust properties are located close to High Wycombe: Hughenden Manor, the home of Benjamin Disraeli, the Victorian novelist and Prime Minister, and West Wycombe Park, the home of the Dashwood family. A Sir Francis Dashwood was a leading light in the Hellfire Club, and you can also visit the (privately owned) Hellfire Caves in the village of West Wycombe.
Wycombe Swan theatre hosts a good range of travelling productions of plays, as well as stand-up comedy and tribute acts.
As far as eating out is concerned, the general rule used to be that the better restaurants were at the eastern end of the town, and Frogmoor is best avoided, but some new eateries have opened in the Eden development.
There are however a lot of great restaurants in the surrounding area (mostly in former pubs).
- Pros:Good train service to London, nice countryside
- Cons:Town is unremarkable
- In a nutshell:Don't just change buses!
The grade II listed historic Brunel railway shed at High Wycombe station has recently been given a facelift as part of... more travel advice
The picturesque village of Bradenham, 4 miles north-west of High Wycombe is owned by the National Trust. Cottages... more travel advice
Written Mar 21, 2008
Easter celebrations in High Wycombe
Written Jun 19, 2009
Wycombe in the Past
SallyM's Related Pages
High Wycombe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High Wycombe - it's really not that bad!"
- "Why Wycombe?"
- "Wycombe - the worst town in the UK?"
- "High Wycombe"
- "Quarterly meeting venue"
- "High Wycombe---Place of my birth"
- "High Wycombe - posh name, crap town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in High Wycombe
- Hotels in High Wycombe
- Transportation in High Wycombe
- Nightlife in High Wycombe
- Restaurants in High Wycombe
- Shopping in High Wycombe
- Warnings and Dangers in High Wycombe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in High Wycombe
- 36 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to High Wycombe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in High Wycombe
Photos in High WycombeSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 42 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue