"Capital of Culture 2008" Liverpool by SallyM
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,328 reviews and 2,493 photos
The first thing I noticed about Liverpool was the amount of building work going on. Since the city has been designated 'EuropeanCapital of Culture 2008' it is a pity that more of this work had not been completed. It was particularly noticeable in the area around the 'Liverpool One' development, where a new Hilton hotel is being constructed.
But Liverpool is over 800 years old (it was founded in 1207) so there is a lot of it that IS finished.
The picture shows a piece of public art called 'A Case History', by John King. It was commissioned by the Liverpool Institute for the Performing Arts and completed in 1998. Among the suitcases are two labelled 'Paul McCartney' and Charles Dickens. The Catholic Cathedral is in the background.
- Pros:Good museums
- Cons:Some areas feel a bit dodgy
- In a nutshell:You don't have to be a Beatles fan
This museum is all about Liverpool's connections with the sea. Permanent exhibitions include one on three doomed ships... more travel advice
Tate Liverpool houses one of the largest galleries of modern and contemporary art in the UK, outside London and is... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
Photos in LiverpoolSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 39 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 24 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos
- Torquay Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos