"Stratford-upon-Avon" Stratford-upon-Avon by SallyM
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide: 405 reviews and 1,181 photos
As an attractive and historic town I suppose that Stratford-upon-Avon would attract visitors even if it weren't for its literary connections, but the Shakespeare connection is certainly well to the fore.
Even a local secondhand bookshop boasts a shelf of Shakespeare's works under the label 'local author'.
2016 is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death, so there is even more Shakespeare-related excitement than usual.
As it is a popular spot for tourists, Stratford, like Bath, York and Windsor, to name but three, has many tea rooms and gift shops aimed at the tourist market. Street entertainers are in evidence even in January. Despite that, it's definitely well worth visiting, but if you are from overseas, please don't be fooled into thinking it is typical of an English market town.
If all the Shakespearean culture gets too much, you can sit by the river and talk to the ducks, or take a boat ride. If you want to feed the ducks, you can buy duck food at the Tourist Information Centre for £1 - it's much better for the ducks than stale bread.
If you are there on a Sunday during the summer, you may also have the opportunity to meet some owls at the Waterside Market.
For something completely different, try the Mechanical Art and Design Museum.
Or you can venture slightly further afield. Other interesting places to visit in the locality include:
But don't forget to go to the theatre! The experience of seeing an RSC production should not be missed. Tickets need not be all that expensive, particularly if you don't mind 'restricted view' (which means that you may not have a good view of part of the stage, but will quite possibly have a very good view of some of the action), or preview tickets. RSC tickets are much better value than London's West End.
My current hobby (other than travel) is to see each of Shakespeare's plays performed, as the RSC is currently in a six year cycle of presenting them all.
- Pros:Shakespeare, the RSC, lots of restaurants
- Cons:Can be crowded and touristy
- In a nutshell:Go there. Watch a Shakespeare play. Now.
If you are interested in Shakespeare, you might like to take the short trip to Charlecote Park for its Shakespearean... more travel advice
Zizzi is an Italian chain, of which there are a number in the UK (others include Ask, Carluccio's, Prezzo and Strada). I... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Avon"
- "STRATFORD UPON AVON"
- "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- "The Bard's Hometown"
- "Shakespeare's town"
- "For the Love of Will"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Hotels in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Transportation in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Nightlife in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shopping in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Stratford-upon-Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford-upon-Avon
- 23 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 3 days London"
- updated a Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Page "Stratford-upon-Avon"
- Wrote a Review Take a trip to Charlecote Park in Stratford-upon-Avon Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a trip to Charlecote Park"
- Commented on one of SallyM's Stratford-upon-Avon travel pages
Photos in Stratford-upon-AvonSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 38 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos
- Torquay Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos