"Stratford-upon-Avon" Stratford-upon-Avon by SallyM
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 1,153 photos
As an attractive and historic town I suppose that Stratford-upon-Avon would attract visitors even if it weren't for its literary connections, but the Shakespeare connection is certainly well to the fore.
Even a local secondhand bookshop boasts a shelf of Shakespeare's works under the label 'local author'.
As it is a popular spot for tourists, Stratford, like Bath, York and Windsor, to name but three, has many tea rooms and gift shops aimed at the tourist market. Street entertainers are in evidence even in January. Despite that, it's definitely well worth visiting, but if you are from overseas, please don't be fooled into thinking it is typical of an English market town.
If all the culture gets too much, you can sit by the river and talk to the ducks, or take a boat ride.
If you want to feed the ducks, you can buy duck food at the Tourist Information Centre for £1 - it's much better for the ducks than stale bread.
If you are there on a Sunday during the summer, you may also have the opportunity to meet some owls at the Waterside Market.
But don't forget to go to the theatre! The experience of seeing an RSC production should not be missed. Tickets need not be all that expensive, particularly if you don't mind 'restricted view' (which means that you may not have a good view of part of the stage, but will quite possibly have a very good view of some of the action), or preview tickets.
My current hobby (other than travel) is to see each of Shakespeare's plays performed, as the RSC is currently in a six year cycle of presenting them all.
- Pros:Shakespeare, the RSC, lots of restaurants
- Cons:Can be crowded and touristy
- In a nutshell:Go there. Watch a Shakespeare play. Now.
No, despite the name, this is not a museum about insanity. 'MAD' stands for 'Mechanical Art and Design.' The Museum was... more travel advice
As a change from Shakespeare, you might visit Compton Verney, an art gallery about 9 miles from Stratford. It's a... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Avon"
- "STRATFORD UPON AVON"
- "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- "The Bard's Hometown"
- "Shakespeare's town"
- "For the Love of Will"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Hotels in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Transportation in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Nightlife in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shopping in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Stratford-upon-Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford-upon-Avon
- 15 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford-upon-Avon
Photos in Stratford-upon-AvonSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 36 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos