"What's the Story in Tobermory?" Tobermory by SallyM
Tobermory Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 37 photos
Tobermory is the largest town/village on the Isle of Mull. It is located on the north of the island, about 40 minutes' drive from the main car ferry terminal at Craigure, but it is a good base to stay as it has a choice of hotels and B&Bs, shops and restaurants. There is also a ferry between Tobermory and the mainland (Ardnamurchan).
It is probably best known at the moment as the filming location for the children's TV series 'Balamory'. The brightly-painted buildings in the harbour certainly give it a distinctive look.
There are two parts to Tobermory; the colourful harbour area, with shops and restaurants, and the upper town, where there are a number of B&Bs. It's only a short walk down (seems longer going back up!). There is a free car park down at the harbour if you don't think you will make it back up the hill when full of delicious local fish.
There are plenty of things to do in Tobermory itself including visiting the Mull Museum or the Tobermory Distillery; taking a boat trip from the Sea Life Centre to see whales or dolphins and exploring the surrounding countryside.
Slightly further afield, you can visit castles, whether ruined (Aros), restored (Duart) or country-houses (Torosay), or take a trip down to the south west of Mull for the ferry to Iona.
- Pros:Great food, fantastic scenery
- Cons:Weather is not always ideal...
If you can brave the narrow roads for 8 miles or so to drive (or cycle) from Tobermory to Dervaig, you can visit the Old... more travel advice
Aros, on the narrow neck of Mull, was once the most importance place on the island of Mull and the administrative... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Tobermory Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What's the Story in Tobermory?"
- "Tobermory - Isle of Mull"
- "TOBERMORY - MORE THAN YOU THINK!"
- "Colourful Town: Tobermory, Isle of Mull"
- "Isle of Mull, Scotland"
- "isle of mull, scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tobermory
- Hotels in Tobermory
- Transportation in Tobermory
- Restaurants in Tobermory
- Shopping in Tobermory
- Warnings and Dangers in Tobermory
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tobermory
- 17 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Tobermory?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tobermory
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 50 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 39 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 24 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 24 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 19 reviews, 52 photos
- P'yongyang Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos
- Torquay Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos