"Samarkand" Samarkand by SallyM
Samarkand Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 892 photos
Samarkand was the final destination on a long journey that had taken us from Beijing to Uzbekistan.
By this stage we had seen a lot of medressas, mosques and mausoleums (not to mention carpets) and I was worried that Samarkand would be an anti-climax - it wasn't. I did have my only incident of traveller's tummy of the trip in Samarkand, but I don't think I can really blame the place for that. I might, however, blame our guide, who insisted that we have lunch at a restaurant run by some friends of his, even though it wasn't officially open that day.
Samarkand is on a larger scale than Bukhara and Khiva. The monuments are incredibly impressive, but it's not so easy to explore on foot. It's worth getting central hotel, if you can.
- Pros:Amazing architecture
This is an avenue of tombs, covered with beautiful majolica tiles. The innermost is supposed to be the grave of... more travel advice
The site of Afrosaib, ancient Marakanda, is worth a visit. The museum there is very interesting, with details of the... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Champaign Hotels
- Dambulla Hotels
- Clearwater Beach Island Hotels
- Cushendun Hotels
- Luhans'ka Oblast'
- Amizmiz Hotels
- Limburg an der Lahn
- Ocho Rios
- San Pellegrino Terme
- Deerfield Heights Hotels
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Fort William Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
Latest Samarkand hotel reviews
- Hotel Afrosiyob Palace
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012