"Ashgabat - the city that keeps on changing" Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat by SallyM
Ashgabat Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 284 photos
Ashgabat is situated between the Karakum Desert and the Kopet Dag mountains. Its name means 'City of Love'.
It is a new, meticulously-planned city, with wide streets and parks, as well as bright lights and the occasional casino.
You might therefore expect it to be a cross between Paris, Las Vegas and Welwyn Garden City, but it's much stranger than that.
Ashgabat was almost totally destroyed by an earthquake in 1948. As a result, there are no old buildings. There are however many new ones.
There are three types of architecture in the city - low housing that was built after the earthquake; Soviet-style architecture from the later 20th century and post-indepence 21st century marble palaces built with petrodollars.
The speed with which buildings and monuments are springing up (or being relocated, as in the case of the Arch of Neutrality), plus the tendency to rename streets can make navigation a bit of a challenge. Also, shops and restaurants etc. don't always have very big signs. Even our guide admitted that he sometimes had problems finding a particular venue.
We bought a map from our hotel gift shop, but a lot of things weren't shown on it.
- Pros:Fascinating place - like nowhere else I have ever been
- Cons:Tricky to find your way around.
We visited Ashgabat in late December, and since Turkmenistan is a predominantly Muslim country, were rather surprised at... more travel advice
The Parthian site of Nissa, near Ashgabat, is probably best not visited in the snow. However, as our time was limited,... more travel advice
SallyM's Related Pages
Ashgabat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City Of Love"
- "Ashgabat, the City of White Marble !"
- "Ashgabat - the city that keeps on changing"
- "Thalam Ashgabatdan"
- "The White City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashgabat
- Hotels in Ashgabat
- Transportation in Ashgabat
- Nightlife in Ashgabat
- Restaurants in Ashgabat
- Shopping in Ashgabat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashgabat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ashgabat
- 17 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Ashgabat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashgabat
Photos in AshgabatSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos