"Thirty years of travelling" SallyM's Profile

Travels so far

My first trip abroad was back in 1984, when I finally persuaded my parents to be a bit more adventurous with the family holiday than going to East Anglia again. Our first trip was a 'tour and stay' coach trip to the Wolfgangsee in Austria . En route, we had brief stops in Brussels, Heidelberg and the Rhine Gorge.

Since then, I have been to many places (though I have only crossed the Atlantic once). My travels outside the UK have included:

Netherlands and Belgium 1985; Tour to Carinthia (Austria) 1985; Obergurgl (Austria) 1986; Basel (Switzerland) December 1986; Baveno, Lake Maggiore (Italy), 1987; Plakias, Crete (Greece) 1988; Soll (Austria) 1989; Paris (France) 1990; Rome and Florence (Italy) 1991; Czechoslovakia 1992; Tour to Austria and Hungary 1993; Borovets (Bulgaria) 1994; Taormina (Sicily) June 1995; Andalucia (Spain) April 1996; Istanbul (Turkey) January 1997; Taormina (Sicily) June 1997; Rhodes (Greece) April 1998; Pallanza, Lake Maggiore (Italy) June 1998; Lido di Jessolo (Italy) September 1998; Turkish Republic of North Cyprus April 1999; Corfu and Greek Mainland September 1999; Pakistan March 2000; Paris (France) August 2001; Barcelona (Spain) February 2001; St Petersburg and Moscow (Russia) June 2001; Marrakesh (Morocco) December 2001; Madrid (Spain) 2002 Taormina (Sicily) June/July 2002; Albania July 2003; Cairo (Egypt) December 2003; Bratislava (Slovakia) 2004; Germany (Berlin) December 2005; Sorrento (Italy) July 2006; China, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan July 2007; Bucharest (Romania) January 2008; Granada (Spain) October 2008; Venezuela January 2009; Yagodina (Bulgaria) August 2009; Moscow and Tomsk (Russia) summer 2010; Cholet (France) August 2010; Japan April 2011; Taormina (Sicily) July 2012; Turkmenistan December 2012; Bellagio, Lake Como (Italy) July 2013.

My kind of travel

I travel for two reasons:

1. Travelling to see as much of a new part of the world as I can; or

2. Going somewhere on a holiday to relax. I prefer pottering around or doing a tea-shop or cafe crawl to lying on a beach.

I love Italy because it is a great place for combining the two. You can stay somewhere like Taormina or Sorrento, which are excellent pottering places, and combine it with sightseeing in Syracuse or Pompeii.

Top Places for Pottering

My top pottering places are currently:

1. Taormina, Sicily
6. Whitby, England
7. Bratislava, Slovakia
8. Philosopher's Walk, Kyoto

Travelling Problems

I'm not actually good traveller. I don't mean that I suffer from travel sickness, but I hate the preparation and packing, and the hassle at the airport. I usually arrive at my destination swearing that I will never venture more than 30 miles from home ever again. A good meal usually sorts this out when I arrive at my destination, and I thoroughly enjoy myself.

Returning home, I usually find I am exhausted and unable to function properly for a day or two, irrespective of the length of the journey.

Somehow I forget all that once the magazines and brochures start flooding in and I start planning my next trip....

The Womble Project

Over the past few years, we have been visiting places which provided names for Wombles. [For non UK readers, Wombles are small furry creatures that live on Wimbledon Common and pick up litter, making good use of the things that they find, that everyday folks leave behind. They originally appeared in books by Elisabeth Beresford, and later as an animated children's TV series]. When young Wombles are old enough to go out on litter duty, they choose a name from the world atlas. See my Womble Project page for details.

The project gave us a reason to go to some interesting parts of the world that we would probably never visited otherwise, including the river Orinoco, and Tomsk in Siberia.

Travel Plans

2014: We have already made weekend trips to Hull and the New Forest in February and Deal in March. We will be going to Singapore and Adelaide in July. We'll be visiting Kangaroo Island where we hope to see a wombat (wombat, womble, anything beginning with wom!)

• Intro Updated Apr 8, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
SallyM's Profile Photo

SallyM

“"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive"”

Location