"Welcome to my homepage" SallyM's Profile
My first trip abroad was back in 1984, when I finally persuaded my parents to be a bit more adventurous with the family holiday than going to East Anglia again.
Until relatively recently my travels have mainly been in Europe (I have visited most countries except for the Baltic and Scandinavia) and North Africa, apart from a trip to Pakistan for a friend's wedding, but in 2007 I took a trip along the Silk Road from China to Uzbekistan, via Kyrgyzstan and in January 2009 I visited the Orinoco Delta in Venezuela. In 2011 I travelled via the Trans-Siberian Railway to Tomsk and in April 2012 I went to southern Japan.
I have also been exploring parts of the UK that I had not visited before, including Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Swansea, Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol and Halesworth. There are lots of places that are not thought of as tourist destinations as such, where there are still things worth seeing. Even Wolverhampton has its points.
My favourite country for a holiday is Italy, but my best ever trip was a tour of Albania.
I travel for two reasons:
1. Travelling to see as much of a new part of the world as I can; or
2. Going somewhere on a holiday to relax. I prefer pottering around or doing a tea-shop or cafe crawl to lying on a beach.
I love Italy because it is a great place for combining the two. You can stay somewhere like Taormina or Sorrento, which are excellent pottering places, and combine it with sightseeing in Syracuse or Pompeii.
My top pottering places are currently:
1. Taormina, Sicily
2. Hay-on-Wye, Wales
3. Rhodes Town, Island of Rhodes
4. Bourton-on-the Water, England
5. Sorrento, Italy
6. Whitby, England
7. Bratislava, Slovakia
8. Philosopher's Walk, Kyoto
I'm not actually good traveller. I don't mean that I suffer from travel sickness, but I hate the preparation and packing, and the hassle at the airport. I usually arrive at my destination swearing that I will never venture more than 30 miles from home ever again. A good meal usually sorts this out when I arrive at my destination, and I thoroughly enjoy myself.
Returning home, I usually find I am exhausted and unable to function properly for a day or two, irrespective of the length of the journey.
Somehow I forget all that once the magazines and brochures start flooding in and I start planning my next trip....
Over the past few years, we have been visiting places which provided names for Wombles. [For non UK readers, Wombles are small furry creatures that live on Wimbledon Common and pick up litter, making good use of the things that they find, that everyday folks leave behind. They originally appeared in books by Elisabeth Beresford, and later as an animated children's TV series]. When young Wombles are old enough to go out on litter duty, they choose a name from the world atlas. See my Womble Project page for details.
The project gave us a reason to go to some interesting parts of the world that we would probably never visited otherwise.
I spent Christmas in Turkmenistan, followed by slightly less adventurous trips to Fort William (Scotland) at Easter, and Lake Como (Italy) in July. Next stop: a return visit to York.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Tagaytay Hotels
- San Francisco Hotels
- Vigan Hotels
- Hat Yai Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Monuriki Island Hotels
- Montego Bay Hotels
- Kowloon Hotels
- Bali Hotels
- Table Rock State Park Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Avery Island Hotels
- Oued Laou Hotels
- Laoag City
- Pulau Babi Besar Hotels
- Willow Glen Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 611 Reviews
- 1,161 Photos
- 20 Countries
- 90 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: shopping- london"
- Commented on SallyM's travelogue
- Wrote a Review Good for RSC visits in Stratford-upon-Avon Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good for RSC visits"
- updated a Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Page "Stratford-upon-Avon"
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to my homepage"
- SallyM and jayjayc are now friends.
PhotosSee All Photos (1161)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination High Wycombe Intro, 35 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taormina Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Bellagio Intro, 16 reviews, 44 photos
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashgabat Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos
- Hiroshima Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22500 Reviews - 55076 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15645 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos