"The Renaissance Town of Levoca" Levoca by carolynllew
Levoca Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 160 photos
The walled town of Levoca is 26 kilometres east of Poprad. My daughter and I visited it briefly on a cold cloudy day in early December. The medieval walls and central square have not been spoilt by modern development. The central square is full of beautiful Renaissance buildings.
The king of Hungary invited Saxon Germans to colonise this region in the 13th century as a protection against Tatar incursions and also to develop mining.
As well as St James 15thC church, the Town Hall which now houses the Spis Museum,is well worth seeing .
- Pros:Unspoilt by modern development
- Cons:Locals wary of strangers
- In a nutshell:Beautiful
So many things to see in the central square of Levoca....... superb Renaissance and Gothic buildings, St James church... more travel advice
carolynllew's Related Pages
Levoca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ooh, so quiet, so very quiet..."
- "THE UNESCO LISTED CITY OF LEVOCA"
- "Levoca, a town surrounded by walls"
- "Small and easy Levoca"
- "The Renaissance Town of Levoca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Levoca
- Hotels in Levoca
- Transportation in Levoca
- Nightlife in Levoca
- Restaurants in Levoca
- Shopping in Levoca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Levoca
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Levoca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Levoca
Top 10 Pages
- Bratislava Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poprad Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Zürich Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Strbske Pleso Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Levoca Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Vienna 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Darmstadt Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Bangkok 2 reviews
- Hong Kong 1 review, 1 photo