Schiedam Things to Do Tips by RoyJava
Schiedam Things to Do: 17 reviews and 25 photos
This tall windmill named "De Walvisch" (Whale) is one of the most popular windmils, because it houses a great mill-shop. You can visit the mill-shop at Thursday & Friday from 10.00 - 17.00 hrs, and Saturday from 10.00 - 16.00 hrs. You can buy all kind of meal and other baking product, produced in the windmill.
The miller's name is Fred Prins.
You may be lucky when the tall windmill is working because of the many happy volonteers. The same people who helped to renovate the windmill after the great fire of 1996 together with some companies.
The name of Whale origanally derived from the whale-fissery of Greenland (1794) that had a flowering time then.
Address: Westvest 229, Schiedam
Directions: Close to the Lange Haven and the 3 museums of Schiedam
Schiedam is world wide known for its windmills. These are the tallest ones ever built.
This tall one is the eldest one named "De Drie Koornbloemen",
or The Three Corn-flowers.
Built in 1770 ... for burning malt and corn.
This windmill has been used, too, for bakers, for mahogany, for rice, for stone ...
The last time the windmill has been renovated was in 1999, and the windmill still turns its wings several times a week.
The miller Rens Franken and his wife Cobie live here for free to keep the windmill running.
Address: Vellevest 5, Schiedam
Phone: +31 (010) - 426 12 91
Going for a walk in Schiedam is like walking right into history of ages ago.
The view is adorable and I am sure you'll enjoy the very friendly sphere.
A walk along the canals is even more historic when walking to the 3 museums which are very close to each other and, close to the nice little center of Schiedam. It is funny to see the modern cars within the rustic canal picture ...
You can find the 3 museums here >>>
* Stedelijk Museum - Hoogstraat 112-114, Schiedam
* Jenever Museum - Lange Haven 74-76, Schiedam
* National Cooperatie Musem - Lange Haven 84, Schiedam
Address: Lange Haven, Schiedam
Directions: Alng the canal of Lange Haven
More Reviews (7)
RoyJava's Related Pages
Schiedam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiedam another neighbour"
- "Schiedam, of windmills and jenever"
- "The windmill town"
- "Schiedam: Somewhere between Den Haag and Rotterdam"
- "CITY OF THE SCHIE"
- "windmills and gin city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiedam
- Transportation in Schiedam
- Restaurants in Schiedam
- Shopping in Schiedam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schiedam
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Schiedam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiedam
Photos in SchiedamSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos