"MACAU > A-MA-GAU" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Macau by RoyJava
Ilha de Macau Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 110 photos
My brother houses at MACAU for quite a while. Until I got there for the first time in 2000 he had never heard anything about the name of AMA-GAU and the relation with MACAU. It's about the Taoistic spiritual way of view and the Portuguese way of thinking.
The Tao Te Ching, written c. 4th century BC, speaks of the feminine aspect like energy of accessible spirit. It is an age-old insight of ancient primeval ages ... and MACAU, Super City Casino Number One, got it in its name! Just don't know exactly the difference between Concelho de MACAU and Ilha de MACAU ...
The Temple of the Goddess A-MA has been regarded as one of the ancient temples in Macau today. From the temple's original name, A-Ma-Gau, meaning the Temple-bay of A-Ma, Macau derived its name. And A-MA is closely related with the Universal Goddess Quan Yin, the Macanese Kun Iam, the Chinese Miao-shan and the Japanese Kannon, so I hit this place more than once!
Our last Macau-visit was at December 16, 2007... we stayed for about 12 days !!!
It was SUPER TRUPER ... G R E A T !!!
And, hopefully, we will visit Macau again in December 2008 ...
A-MA & KUN IAM
Thanks for visiting.
Macau is a city on 3 small islands (Macau Peninsula, Taipa and Coloane) in South-east of China, and West of Hong Kong. From today Airport Macau International you can reach Macau directly by the Friendship Bridge, no needs anymore to sail the ferry ship from Hong Kong.
Getting to Macau over sea has never been easier, with high-speed ferries now running from Hongkong to Macau. If you are in a small group try a flight by helicopter which is a viable alternative and, becoming increasingly popular for residents ... and visitors alike!
Some people think the KUN IAM Statue is a bizarre monument dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy, emerging Venus-like from a 7 m.-high lotus, located in the Outer Harbour on a man-made island. The remarkable Lady, facing the city of Macau, is connected to the mainland by a 60 m.-long footbridge, free entrance.
I think the KUN IAM Ecumenical Centre is a magnificent fusion of Eastern mystery and Western art. The KUN IAM Statue, all in bronze, watches the Macau-centre in a mysterious way her visitors drawing near to her entrance within the dome-shaped lotus with 16 petals. Curious, dedicated, worshipping, or to pay a visit to conferences, exhibitions, films ... etc. I adore her!
- Pros:A-MA - Casino - Colorful - Atmosphere - Legendary Past - Wonderful Food - Indonesian Similarity
- Cons:Don't argue the past - Don't seize the future - There's The Casino For Now
- In a nutshell:Going for the East - you'll find the West -> A-Ma-Gau
Tired of shows, gambling and the glitter & glamour? Come, let's go to the Cinema! If you want to watch a good movie... more travel advice
Walking from Macau downtown to Outer Harbour you'll see the long highway bridges. They all connect Macau to Taipa. The... more travel advice
RoyJava's Related Pages
Ilha de Macau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MACAU > A-MA-GAU"
- "Wow Macau!"
- "Enjoy Macau!"
- "A world of its own"
- "Gangs, gambling and mafia??"
- "Macau - The island of Beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha de Macau
- Hotels in Ilha de Macau
- Transportation in Ilha de Macau
- Nightlife in Ilha de Macau
- Restaurants in Ilha de Macau
- Shopping in Ilha de Macau
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha de Macau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha de Macau
- 33 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Ilha de Macau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha de Macau
Photos in Ilha de MacauSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos