Blitar Things to Do Tips by RoyJava
Blitar Things to Do: 18 reviews and 57 photos
See the largest and most imposing complex of ruins in East-Java, situated on the South Western slope of Kelud Volcano, about 12 km from Blitar. It is the beautiful Panataran/Penataran Temple, a huge complex famous for Singosari Kingdom rituals and ceremonies around 1197 (building took about 250 years!). The Majapahit Kingdom was related with this kingdom.
Around the base of the first level platform, which would once have been a meeting place, the comic-strip carvings tell the story of a test between the fat meat-eating Bubukshah and the thin vegetarian Gagang Aking. Temple reliefs show the transformation from 3-dimensional to 2-dimensional representations ... figures tend to take second place to the phantastic decorations.
If you do love archaeology and history the Panataran Hindu Temples you cannot miss!
Address: Desa Panataran, Panataran, East-Java
Directions: From Blitar head for Nglegok village, and Desa Panataran
Actually the Sukarno Mausoleum lies in Bendogerit near Sentul, a few km outside Blitar on the road to Panataran. The very first President of Indonesia, coming from originally Javanese people, is looked on by them as the "Father of his country". As leader of Indonesia from 1949 to 1965, he had been worshipped by the Javanese (almost a God), but with Soehartos regime he was no more less than a figurehead.
Sukarno was given a state funeral but, even at family requests to bury him at hometown of Bogor, West-Java, the hero of Indonesian independence was buried in an unmarked grave next to his mother in Blitar. It was only in 1978 that the lavish million-dollar monument was built over the grave and opened to Indonesian pelgrims. The site is also called "Makam Proklomator", or "the Grave of Indonesian's Independence".
Maybe in future the grave will be moved to West-Java (Batutulis, Bogor West Java), according to Megawati Sukarnoputri, daughter of Indonesia's first president ...
... (to be continued)
Address: Sukarno's Grave, Bendogerit, East-Java
Directions: Way to the Panataran complex, Bendogerit near Sentul
More Reviews (4)
RoyJava's Related Pages
Blitar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a lovely historical town"
- "Blitar, city and regency"
- "BLITAR Nurses-home Of Kediri & Malang"
- "Places to See in Blitar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blitar
- Hotels in Blitar
- Transportation in Blitar
- Nightlife in Blitar
- Restaurants in Blitar
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sorrento Things to Do
- Laoag City Things to Do
- Bacolod City Things to Do
- Kuching Things to Do
- Ottawa Things to Do
- Mystic Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Key West Things to Do
- Sonora Things to Do
- Bourbon Street
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Sun City Things to Do
- Strasbourg Things to Do
- Pennsylvania Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Blitar
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Blitar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blitar
Photos in BlitarSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (83)
Latest Blitar hotel reviews
- Tugu Hotel Blitar
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013