"Komodo Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo by RoyJava
Pulau Komodo Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 160 photos
Yes, I have visited the legendary Komodo a while ago. The Komodo, that mythical creature we can compare with like the myth of the goddess (read more ahead).
This monitor genus, named Komodo lived its own evolutionary history and, in the prehistoric past (it's said about 140.000.000 years!), the creature probably lived throughout the entire region from Timor, Sumba, Flores and other Indonesian islands all to Australia, maybe connected with eachother.
Only when later water did separate all of the different islands for now, then the areas isolation and strong ocean currents assured the legendary Komodo's survival. It's a true fact the Varanus komodoensis (the world's large carnivores) has the smallest permanent habitat range, being confined to Pulau Komodo, Pulau Padar, and Pulau Rinca. But be aware they also inhabit the Westerly tip of the island of Flores and on other neighbour island ...
Komodo dragons sleep at night and hunt during the day. Some smaller ones may spend their nights in a den. During the day, they follow a weel-known route looking for food. Adult dragons will eat young dragons (included their own kids) if given the chance. Some dragons swim to nearby islands to go for a hunt ... And why mentioning a Goddess? See >>>
thanks for visiting
These giant reptiles really look like dragons, so may be they truly are the source of the ancient Asian Dragon myths, what is told. And they have truly dragon breath. After they feed on rotting flesh, bits of the flesh rot in their teeth. Bacteria from the flesh lives in their mouths, making a sickening, rotten smell.
That means trouble to humans. Because a bite is dangerous and injurious. After they cut a tendon or tear a muscle, the injured animal limps away. A bacterial infection from the dragon's mouth kills the animal in a day or two. The dragon, along with siser & brother-dragons, tracks down the body by following the stench. For some reason, the Komodo Dragon prefers aged meat ... even in the Blijdorp Zoo, Rotterdam (see pic)!
Pulau Komodo, Komodo Island, Indonesia, is one of the most dangerous places in the world. Tropical typhoons rip trees from their roots. Strong currents swirl over the reefs, causing shipwrecks that leave castaways on the island.
And during the rainy season, the wet monsoon, the king-cobra and other poisened snakes patrol the island's forests and grasslands. Deadly spiders hang from their webs, ready to jump for a 4 to 5 m. leap. Poisened millipedes march through the underbrush, and rats, as big as grown-up cats, swarm over the kampung-place.
Keep silent and wait for the hiss of the Komodo!
And bring a lot of water-in-bottle!
Bottle Of Water
- Pros:Dragon-watch, adventure, jungle-rest, ocean-drive, wildlife
- Cons:Dragon-bites, insect-spray = a must & drink/food supplies & visit-permit
- In a nutshell:Dragon Killers Alive With Bad Breath
Wo does not know the sunset on any island can be just spectacular. When in Indonesia time flies and the evening is a... more travel advice
The largest Komodo on record was more then 10 ft (3.5 m.) long. Through the years there have been absurd,... more travel advice
- See All PULAU KOMODO T-SHIRT
- Snorkeling - Diving
- See All Endangered Specie
- See All Islands Around Pulau Komodo
- See All Ferry To Komodo Island
RoyJava's Related Pages
Pulau Komodo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Komodo Island"
- "Komodo Island Indonesia"
- "Komodo Dragon Adventure"
- "Komodo Dragons and more"
- "Beware of the beasts!!!"
- "Komodo National Park"
- "komodo the home of the giant komodo waran"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Komodo
- Hotels in Pulau Komodo
- Transportation in Pulau Komodo
- Nightlife in Pulau Komodo
- Restaurants in Pulau Komodo
- Shopping in Pulau Komodo
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Komodo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Komodo
- 39 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Pulau Komodo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Komodo
Photos in Pulau KomodoSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos