"TANAH TORAJA - Sulawesi" Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao by RoyJava
Rantepao Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 297 photos
RANTEPAO, the centre for tourists who visit Tanah Toraja (to ri aja in Buginese), is a market place in the rocky area of Sungai Sa'dan, where the Toraja people are living, and get overrun by swarms of tourists for 6 months a year at least.
Visit Rantepao's market, North-east of the bus Terminal Bolu centre and watch the bargaining of buffalos, buy some palm wine, get Tanah Toraja souvenirs and listen to the many chats ... it's funny, amazing, however my best memories were the visits to the "cave-tombs" villages around, which left very deep impressions about peoples "living for the dead"...
I remember when we entered the Tanah Toraja land. The typical saddle-roofed houses (tongkonan) showed a fabulous tradition kept for so long time. And I got overwhelmed by their myths which claim that their ancestors arrived in a storm from the Northern Sea, pulled their splinter boats ashore, and used them as roofs; the principal attraction of Tanah Toraja and its houses, shaped like ships and, all face North, the direction of their origin ... isn't that a magnificent kept secret ?
The Toraja saddle-roofed and Bugi stilt-houses are known from art-paintings on Dongson-drums (500 BC), which show similar houses. South Sulawesi is a special link between Asia and Australia. There are some areas with Pleistocene fossils, dating back until 400.000 - 500.000 years ago! There are lakes everywhere, once part of the sea in prehistoric times. Temperature can be very hot, so maybe this remind you to bring a lot of water with you traveling to the Toraja mountain-land, where its people have never seen the ocean ...
- Pros:Impressive - Historical - Ecological - Cultural - Traditional - Ceremonial - Ritual -
- Cons:Touristy - Cross-Country-Wide - Touristy-Priced
- In a nutshell:Tanah Toraja Magnificent Region Fascinating People
Most travellers get to Rantepao by (long-distance) bus companies, booked in home-land like we did (trip is about 8-9... more travel advice
When coming from the North to the Toraja Land it is a worth to travel to Ujung Pandang, the formerly named Makassar by... more travel advice
RoyJava's Related Pages
Rantepao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rambu Solo, Solo Traveller"
- "TANAH TORAJA - Sulawesi"
- "Tana Toraja - The Charming of Torajan Highland"
- "TANAH TORAJA"
- "Amazing Torajaland"
- "Rantepao - Tana Toraja"
- "Tomate: Torajan Funeral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rantepao
- Hotels in Rantepao
- Transportation in Rantepao
- Nightlife in Rantepao
- Restaurants in Rantepao
- Shopping in Rantepao
- Warnings and Dangers in Rantepao
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rantepao
- 32 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Rantepao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rantepao
Photos in RantepaoSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos