Sorong Transportation Tips by RoyJava
Sorong Transportation: 5 reviews and 7 photos
The harbour of Sorong is deep enough and well-known as port of call. The Pelayaran Nasional Indonesia (PELNI) is Indonesian's national shipping company.
PELNI LINE owns several ships to transport passengers as well cargo, though includes cruise-ships with all modern comfort and ac-cabins. Get info about regular sailing schedules ...
We happen to welcome the liner KM Rinjani, belonging to the national shipping line, PT PELNI. So a next time I will visit Sorong again I hope to set sail to Irian Jaya by PELNI (just an great idea I guess). For interested sailors, there is an office in Sorong too >>>
JL. Jend. A. Yani Komplek, Sorong
Tel: (0951) 21716 - 21860 - 21938
It is well-known that air transport is the easiest and most comfortable means of travel in Indonesia. Fly by Garuda Indonesia, Merpati Musantara, Bouraq, Mandala Airlines, and get Sempati Air special to Irian Jaya/Papua. Prepare your permit for Irian Jaya is very important for not wasting time.
Normally there is no problem to book a plane reservation and having the flight on the day it is supposed to go (from Jakarta, Java or, Den Pasar, Bali). Air fares might well change their schedule, you'd better inform the Jakarta & Bali flights. I even flew once from Surabaya and, had to change at Ujung Pandang, Sulawesi ... all went in a normal way (Java, Sulawesi, Ambon, Biak - Irian Jaya).
The direct flight time from Bali to Jefman, Sorong is 5 hours, each passenger is allowed 25 kg of luggage, excess baggage is charged at $1.50 US per kilo (subject to change without notice). The only airport in Papua capable of landing a Boeing 747 (Jumbo Jet) is the Bandar Udara Frans Kaisiepo in Biak ...
Jefman, Sorong Airport, is a small island about 32 km from the town, where my dad worked. This island had the possibility for a runway because of its flat. Here the voyage to the harbour of Sorong starts. Now the regular daily airport ferry is a real rip-off, but there's no other way to get into town (only by cruise-boat like the Pelni-line of hiring a longboat yourself,... count out your money).
When entering Sorong harbour you can hire a long-boat to sail around. And see the redish building (the Soos) on the top of the hill. Once this was the best place for events, like X-mas and New Year's Eve, ... for now totally fallen into disrepair.
More Reviews (62)
- See All FIREFLIES - Lightning Bugs
- See All STONE HILL
- See All PAPUA JAYA?
- See All Long-boat To DOOM
- See All Papua Stuff
- Going Disco
RoyJava's Related Pages
Sorong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raised At Papua New Guinea - Irian Jaya"
- "SORONG, Belong to IRIAN JAYA BARAT"
- "Raja Ampat, What a BREATHTAKING!"
- "Raja Ampat, Where the Fish Live"
- "Gateway to Papua and Raja Ampat"
- "Head of Bird"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorong
- Hotels in Sorong
- Transportation in Sorong
- Nightlife in Sorong
- Restaurants in Sorong
- Shopping in Sorong
- Warnings and Dangers in Sorong
- See All...
Explore the World
- Darby Hotels
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Hotels
- Koo-Wee-Rup Hotels
- Bermondsey Hotels
- Puerto Maldonado
- North Korea
- Province of Sabaragamuwa
- Gardone Riviera
Badges & Stats in Sorong
- 65 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Sorong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorong
Photos in SorongSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos