"Raised At Papua New Guinea - Irian Jaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong by RoyJava
Sorong Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 121 photos
Born at the Indonesian island of Morotai we moved to Nederlands Nieuw Guinea (in Dutch!), for now named Papua Province, former Irian Jaya (or Barat = West), when I was a baby-boy. Our place was Sorong at the very western tip of the Bird's Head, the name for that area because this looks like the head of a cassowary (kasuari, an emu-bird).
My childhood was a rather protected one, the truly colonial style, with having plenty of all material matters. I just didn't know better than that ... That glamour we enjoyed as child, created a very happy time in this way.
Right along the beach with white sand and palms, with the reality of the jungle as background, we got spoiled and raised ... and immigrated to Holland when I was 10 years old.
I got lucky to return to Sorong ... a must because of my Holland immigrant dream about Sorong all the time ...
My Sorong VT Pages became a rather extensive update, especially for some kids I've been raised with. With nostalgic feelings and a lot of fun, hope you'll have a pleasant stay, thanks for visiting.
Best Papua Province by Laszlo
Happiness is not a place,... it is a direction ...
- Bill Sands -
Although we had a "rich" life, Sorong has always been no more than a main street and some off-streets. Ofcourse all did change, especially the landscape (no more jungles), but still Sorong is a deathly silent hamlet. It is the Pertamina oil company which developed Sorong to its now-a-day "city-life". And still you can find a police-man doing the traffic (see pic) in the early morning, like in the "old days". That looks so cute, so mollify ...
What can I add more ... as my special supplements to VT Tours?
I enjoyed my stays at Sorong, Irian Jaya, ...
As well in former time as the several returning times ...
The Word "SORONG"
- Pros:Memories, childhood, rough country, jungle, birds, ocean-life,
- Cons:Malaria, militarism, suspicious people
- In a nutshell:Memories never die, nor will Sorong ...
As kids we loved to watch the "Fireflies", of the "lightning bugs". Strange enough these creatures got very seldom... more travel advice
Pak Wajoj we met at his home in Klademak. He once worked for N.N.G.P.M. (Nederlandsch Nieuw Guinea Petroleum... more travel advice
- See All Papua Stuff
- Going Disco
- See All Watch The Play!
- See All Glittering & Glamour?
Written Oct 17, 2010
Long Time Ago In Sorong Town
Written Jan 31, 2005
A Lifetime Ago
RoyJava's Related Pages
Sorong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raised At Papua New Guinea - Irian Jaya"
- "SORONG, Belong to IRIAN JAYA BARAT"
- "Raja Ampat, What a BREATHTAKING!"
- "Raja Ampat, Where the Fish Live"
- "Gateway to Papua and Raja Ampat"
- "Head of Bird"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorong
- Hotels in Sorong
- Transportation in Sorong
- Nightlife in Sorong
- Restaurants in Sorong
- Shopping in Sorong
- Warnings and Dangers in Sorong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sorong
- 65 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sorong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorong
Photos in SorongSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos