"Ujung Pandang - Makassar - South Sulawesi" Top 5 Page for this destination Makassar by RoyJava
Makassar Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 212 photos
Ujung Pandang was named "Makkassar" by the Dutch, and only in the early 70's it got its present name. The Dutch had control over the ocean and its ships, sailing from West to East Indonesia.
The notorious Bugi people of Ujung Pandang and the Bajo Sea nomads played an integral role in the island's history, where Ujung Pandang often is used as gateway to the interior of Sulawesi (like the famous Toraja highland). All of my visits to Ujung Pandang, Sulawesi, were of great "hot" experience!
Thanks for visiting.
On the way to Tanah Toraja you'll see the most beautiful views, like the traditional sawah (grass-land). The "sawah" (an indiviual rice-field, or the wet-rice method of cultivation) may be well-known of the terraces, situated high above the rivers and streams, though on the way to Sulawesi inland from Ujung Pandang/Makassar you'll be able to see a farmer with 2 bullocks or cows pulling a wooden plough over his flat farmer's land ... it's worth to stop and enjoy the upmost strikingly beautiful scene I have ever seen in Indonesia.
Makassar/Ujung Pandang Bay teems with sailing prahu's and hosts stunning and spectacularly beautiful sunsets. Maybe the beach can be filthy, though claim some grass on the beachside and enjoy these famous Ujung Pandang sunsets, you won't be disappointed ...
- Pros:Characteristic, interesting cultures, beautiful landscape
- Cons:very hot/panas sekali, take your time/pelahan-pelahan
- In a nutshell:Sulawesi, Celebes, ... worth a closer look!
To change your money in Indonesia could be a problem when you are in the country. They just can not change when you want... more travel advice
The anchorage of Ujung Pandang/Makassar is Pelabuhan Paotare (Harbour of Paotare, pronounced "putre") in NW end of town.... more travel advice
- See All Refreshing Temperature
- See All Bad Weather
- Delicious Makassar Food
- 'Cak! ... Becák!
RoyJava's Related Pages
Makassar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the schooners"
- "Makassar - City of Maritime"
- "Ujung Pandang - Makassar - South Sulawesi"
- "Makassar is a paradise 4 sea-food lovers"
- "Journey to D'Exotic South Sulawesi"
- "Makassar - east of Wallace Line."
- "Makassar, colonial history and bugissailers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Makassar
- Hotels in Makassar
- Transportation in Makassar
- Nightlife in Makassar
- Restaurants in Makassar
- Shopping in Makassar
- Warnings and Dangers in Makassar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Makassar
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Makassar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Makassar
Photos in MakassarSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 263 reviews, 350 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 88 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sorong Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pattaya Intro, 48 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scheveningen Intro, 47 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pelabuhanratu Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Komodo Intro, 39 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malang Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Penang Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos