"Scotland: fascinating and impressive" Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland by vtveen
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,516 reviews and 27,449 photos
We have always been 'fans' of Great Britain and just wanted to visit Scotland one day. When we found a very interesting airfare with Ryanair, we decided immediately to go. We made a round trip by rental car from Prestwick clockwise along Oban, Mallaig, Skye, Black Isle, Inverness, Edinburgh and Stirling.
It was a great experience and we enjoyed our trip very much. Perhaps also because we were 'lucky' with the weather during the second half of September. Off course we had a bad day (belongs to Scotland), but most of the time it was sunny and rather warm.
It was hard to decide where to put my tips about Scotland. Many parts of the country are really 'off the beaten path', but in my opinion even this sights are a 'must see'. So you may find all the tips about the country, towns, castles etc. in 'the things to do' section. They are presented in the same order as we made our trip.
Hope you enjoy the tips and pics as we did Scotland.
The landscapes in Scotland were so impressive, varying from rugged mountains, through rolling heathland till meadows and fields. And always and everywhere water: loch, stream, sound, river, firth, fall, doesn’t matter what name it has.
Most fascinating was the ever lasting 'battle' between light and shadow, clouds and sunshine. It provides the scenery with something special.
We visited a couple of towns in Scotland. Some very small ones like for instance Elgol and Cawdor, other unexpected gems like Plockton or Strathpeffer and at last Edinburgh.
Edinburgh was very interesting to visit with its ‘two faces’: the Royal Mile with a lot of ancient sights and on the other hand Princes Street with the modern shops.
We had our accommodation in Aberdour (across the Firth of Forth) and visited Edinburgh by train. No problems with traffic jams or to find a car park. Just relaxing !!!
- Pros:scenery, sights, friendly people
- Cons:(not the weather), expensive lodgings and sights
- In a nutshell:very fascinating country
Prestwick Airport is one the fastest growing airports in the UK, due to being one of the main hubs of Ryanair and with... more travel advice
A visit to Scotland without visiting a whisky distillery is not complete. It doesn't matter which or where to visit one... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 61 Reviews
- 204 Photos
- 113 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
- Posted in Travel Vaassen Forum "Re: De Leest Restaurant"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Scotland travel pages
- updated a Scotland Travel Page "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- Wrote a Review Glasgow Prestwick International Airport in Scotland Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Glasgow Prestwick International Airport"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Scotland hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3409 Reviews - 6784 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 887 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 343 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Melrose Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Pitlochry Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 769 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Arrochar Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Peebles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 22 Photos