"Tropic – tropical town in Bryce Valley" Tropic by vtveen
Tropic Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 24 photos
Tropic got its name from the more or less tropical climate in this part of Bryce valley. The area is rather green and has a lot of meadows with grazing cows and horses around. The town was founded in 1892 and settlers could only live here after digging the 15 miles long Tropic Ditch (if walking the trail to Mossy Caves you are walking along this man made ditch).
Tropic was home to Ebenezer Bryce (namesake of Bryce Canyon) and we did take a look at his cabin.
Tropic is a rather small village - about 400 people are living here - along Scenic Byway 12. Most of the important facilities for tourists are situated along or very close to the main road, like hotels/motels, restaurants, a pizzeria, some shops, supermarket, gas station and even a bank.
Bryce Road leads to a back entrance of Bryce Canyon National Park, where a trail to Sunset and Sunrise Point starts.
We stayed in Tropic for two nights and I think it is a very good and affordable alternative for your Bryce Canyon (and Kodachrome Basin SP) visit. At least we were very happy we didn’t stay in or around the ‘tourist trap’ of Ruby’s Inn.
Tropic is located 10 km’s east of Bryce Canyon NP along highway 12.
For the time being you may find tips and pics about Tropic and its surroundings on my Utah page.
- Pros:Very good alternative for Bryce Canyon
vtveen's Related Pages
Tropic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tropic Utah in Spring Time"
- "Change of plans"
- "Tropic – tropical town in Bryce Valley"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tropic
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Tropic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tropic
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Tropic hotel reviews