".... little New Zealand ...." Top 5 Page for this destination Coromandel by vtveen
Coromandel Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 580 photos
Although number 5 on my New Zealand list, it is a great place to visit. I often call it 'little New Zealand', because you will find almost every kind of scenery from all over the country, except the real (high) mountains.
Coromandel is situated about 11/2 hours drive from Auckland and most tourists will come from this city. The first town on your way to the Coromandel is Thames, a former mining town. You still can take a look at an old gold mining complex.
Nearby Thames lies the Kauaeranga Valley, a hidden treasure with typical native bush and a lot of tracks. I would call it 'little Coromandel'.
The west coast, along the Firth of Thames, has a lot of splendid bays and everywhere along the winding road with great views are lots of (old) pohutukawa's. Oh, it must be so colourful in December with these flowering NZ-Christmas trees.
From Coromandel Town, a nice quiet town, take road nr. 309, to the east coast. It is a gravel road, winding and hilly. You are driving through green forests and along the road are several car parks. From one of them you can visit some kauri's and from another one a water fall.
The east coast has some excellent beaches. Whitianga with Buffalo Beach, try to stay in one of the accommodations on this beach. Not so well known is Tairua, with a lovely beach and Paku Hill with fantastic views.
By far the most beautiful beach of New Zealand is 'Cathedral Cove'. Not far away you will find 'Hot Water Beach', also a must see activity and Hahei Beach. Further to the south another lovely beach in Opoutere with almost white sand.
- Pros:amazing scenery
- In a nutshell:almost everything what you can find in New Zealand
Tairua is a small village on the east side of Coromandel with a lovely beach, a lot of accommodation and restaurants. It... more travel advice
Hahei is a small settlement a couple of km's from highway 25 between Whitianga and Tairua; just turn off at Whenuakite.... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Coromandel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Coromandel Penninsula"
- "Coromandel - A peninsula to see"
- "COROMANDEL PENINSULAR - I Visit regularly."
- ".... little New Zealand ...."
- "CATHEDRAL COVE, COROMANDEL PENINSULAR."
- "Pohutukawas, Tree Ferns and White Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coromandel
- Hotels in Coromandel
- Transportation in Coromandel
- Nightlife in Coromandel
- Restaurants in Coromandel
- Shopping in Coromandel
- Warnings and Dangers in Coromandel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coromandel
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Coromandel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coromandel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos