"Wairarapa - New Zealand’s Capital Country" Wairarapa by vtveen
Wairarapa Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 214 photos
Wairarapa is situated in the south east of the North Island. About 100 km’s away from Wellington and 240 km’s from Napier. This region of the country is more or less a hidden treasure, surrounded by the Rimutaka Range (south), Tararua Range (west) and the Pacific Ocean (east).
Excellent destination for a day trip from Wellington, away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Or for a stop on the way between Napier and the capital of New Zealand.
Wairarapa has a very diverse scenery with mountains, hills, plains, valleys and a rugged coastline. Ideal for exploring on foot, bicycle or car. Tracks and walks can be found around the area. Along the coastline of Palliser Bay is an easy accessible fur seal colony. North of Masterton is Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre.
Wairarapa has some small towns. Masterton is the biggest and Martinborough the smallest, famous for its wineries. Greytown has some unexpected Victorian buildings along the main street. Carterton has a paua shell factory and is well known as the ‘daffodil capital of New Zealand’.
- Pros:very quiet, amazing scenery, rural pace
This shop or factory has everything what has been made of paua (or abalone). And believe that is a lot. Most of them are... more travel advice
Greytown is the oldest town in the Wairarapa established by Senator George Grey in 1853. Greytown has some old... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Wairarapa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wairarapa - New Zealand’s Capital Country"
- "I used to live in Martinborough circa 1980"
- "The Eastern gateway out of Wellington"
- "Wairarapa -on the East Coast of the Nth Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wairarapa
- Hotels in Wairarapa
- Transportation in Wairarapa
- Restaurants in Wairarapa
- Shopping in Wairarapa
- Warnings and Dangers in Wairarapa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wairarapa
- 18 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Wairarapa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wairarapa
- Posted in Travel Argentina Forum "Re: Reciprocity Fee Argentina"
- updated a Wairarapa Travel Page "Wairarapa - New Zealand’s Capital Country"
- Commented on one of Kurimoana's Wairarapa travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wairarapa - New Zealand’s Capital Country"
- Wrote a Review Paua from the factory in Wairarapa Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos