"Northern part of the South Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Nelson/Tasman by vtveen
Nelson/Tasman Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 657 photos
Nelson is one of the oldest settlements in New Zealand. Nowadays it is the capital of the northern part of the South Island and the gateway for visiting Abel Tasman National Park and Golden Bay.
Nelson has an interesting shopping centre with Trafalgar Street as most important. The city is well known for its art galleries.
At the end of Trafalgar Street lies Church Hill, with the Cathedral overlooking the city. This is one of the must see sites. The church is built of marble from Takaka.
We (Dutchies) were more or less proud to find a statue of Abel Tasman, the discoverer of New Zealand. This statue was unveiled in the year 2000.
As said Nelson is a good starting point visiting Abel Tasman National Park and the Golden Bay area. The national park is about 1 hour drive north west of the city along the Tasman Bay.
Abel Tasman National Park is the smallest of the national parks in New Zealand, but it has a lot to offer. It is just the mixture between the golden beaches, the christal clear sea, sealife and the native bush, which attracts lots of tourists.
Most importants townships are Motueka, Kaiteriteri and Marahau.
Golden Bay and Farewell Spit are another hour drive from Motueka and offer some very remote beaches and nice quiet towns like Takaka and Collingwood.
- Pros:amazing scenery, lots of sunshine
- In a nutshell:discovered by a Dutchman, do it by your own
Although not the most original swingbridge we found in New Zealand, it was rather nice to visit the Buller Gorge... more travel advice
Pupu Springs is New Zealand's largest freshwater spring (the official name is Waikoropupu Springs; in Maori waikoropupu... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Nelson/Tasman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Golden Beaches, Birds, Mountains and Orchards"
- "Northern part of the South Island"
- "Sunshine & Landscape"
- "Nelson/Tasman has so much to offer."
- "TASMAN BAY and Nelson's Lakes"
- "City of Nelson South Island NZ"
- "Grab Yer Togs!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nelson/Tasman
- Hotels in Nelson/Tasman
- Transportation in Nelson/Tasman
- Restaurants in Nelson/Tasman
- Shopping in Nelson/Tasman
- Warnings and Dangers in Nelson/Tasman
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nelson/Tasman
- 18 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Nelson/Tasman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nelson/Tasman
- Posted in Travel Cadiz Forum "Re: surrounding villages"
- Uploaded a Photo to "home baked muffins"
- updated a Nelson/Tasman Travel Page "Northern part of the South Island"
- Wrote a Review Buller Gorge Swingbridge in Nelson/Tasman Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of pepples46's Nelson/Tasman travel pages
Photos in Nelson/TasmanSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos