"Northerly point of North Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Northland by vtveen
Northland Travel Guide: 712 reviews and 1,552 photos
Situated north of Kaitaia, the most important town in the area and a good starting point for exploring the Aupouri Peninsula (a more or less unknown name), where one can find Cape Reinga. This peninsula is a narrow piece of land between the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean, which meet together north of Cape Reinga.
Other points of interest are: Ninety Mile Beach and Te Paki Reserve and some remoted beaches.
On your way north on SH11 you will enjoy the beautiful scenery. Both left and right are amazing views over the beaches of the Tasman Sea or the Pacific Ocean. Much of them do have white sand and stick out against the deep blue waters.
It is a fantastic scenic drive to the cape and you will even enjoy the gravel road !!
Birthplace of a Nation. February 6 in 1840 was the so called Waitangi Treaty signed by Maori's and the British resident. And that was the birth of modern New Zealand.
But today you will find more interesting places like Russell, Kerikeri, Whangarei and a small village like Mangonui, lots of wonderful beaches and the marine reserves of the Poor Knights Islands.
And last but not least the Bay of Islands, a marvelous piece of New Zealand. The Bay of Islands is one of the most popular regions in New Zealand, due to a lovely climate, great scenery, lots of activities and places of historical importance.
Paihia is the 'capital' of the Bay, but we didn't like it too much, because it is (during the summer) more or less overcrowded. Russell is much better and still rather quiet. Or Kerikeri with its own charm and historical buildings around the town basin.
To get a better idea of the placement of the various towns in the Bay of Islands see website: http://www.bayofislands.net/maps/
As often in New Zealand the west coast is much wilder. There are two main destinations: Waipoua Forest Park (with impressive kauri's) and Hokianga Harbour (with huge sand dunes) and further south the little town of Matakohe with a kauri (and pioneer) museum.
Around Hokianga Harbour are a couple of little towns like Omapere, Opononi. Take the car-ferry from Rawene to Kohukohu. and you will reach a very quiet part of New Zealand, where many Maori's are living in small villages like Panguru and Mitimiti.
- Pros:historical points of interest, great scenery
This is a really ‘off the beaten path’ tip and I only recommend it visitng when travelling to/from Auckland to the Bay... more travel advice
When visiting the Bay of Islands area we had to make at least one cruise to see at least a couple of the 144 islands. We... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Northland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Auckland To Cape Reinga"
- "Northerly point of North Island"
- "Huge Kauri Forests, Endless Beaches and History"
- "Northland, New Zealand."
- "BEAUTIFUL NORTHLAND"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northland
- Hotels in Northland
- Transportation in Northland
- Nightlife in Northland
- Restaurants in Northland
- Shopping in Northland
- Warnings and Dangers in Northland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northland
- 49 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Northland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Northland hotels
- Paihia Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 263 Photos
- Whangarei Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 36 Photos
- Whangarei Hotels
- 66 Reviews - 86 Photos
- Russell Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Ninety Mile Beach Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 66 Photos
- Omapere Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 74 Photos
- Bay of Islands Hotels
- 115 Reviews - 293 Photos
- Waipapakauri Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Waiharara Hotels
- 1 Review
- Tutukaka Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Matauri Bay Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Mangonui Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Mangawhai Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Kerikeri Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Kaiwaka Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo