"Holbrook – somewhere in the middle of nowhere" Top 5 Page for this destination Holbrook by vtveen
Holbrook Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 177 photos
Holbrook is located in north-eastern Arizona's Navajo County on the banks of the Little Colorado River and along Interstate 40. In 1881 railroad tracks were laid and a railway station was built. The community was then named Holbrook, in honor or the first chief engineer of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad.
The railroad is now BNSF and Holbrook is still an important transportation hub for north-eastern Arizona.
Nowadays Holbrook is surrounded by the plains of Arizona’s high plateau country, which are not very inviting for visitors. The town, with about 5000 inhabitants, still has some western/frontier style with some older buildings. When we arrived and left we were amazed by the wide empty roads lined with shops, businesses, motels and gas stations, all with garish (neon) lights.
Holbrook has just a couple of things to offer:
- the Historic Navajo County Courthouse (built in 1898), which now houses a small museum. When we arrived it was already closed.
- Old Route 66 (Hopi Drive and Navajo Boulevard)
- Wigwam Motel (along Route 66), although we were happy not sleeping there so close to the noisy railroad.
But the main reason for tourists to stop and stay overnight in Holbrook is the vicinity of Petrified Forest National Park, which is just 19 miles east to the south entrance. The town is the gateway to this national park and for us also the only reason for visiting Holbrook.
We already had read a lot about Super 8 Motels, so our expectations were not too high. But I have to admit we were... more travel advice
A must see place along the park road is the Painted Desert Inn, nearby Kachina Point. This former road inn - dating back... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Holbrook Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Holbrook Page"
- "Holbrook~Route 66"
- "Holbrook – somewhere in the middle of nowhere"
- "Holbrook -- Base camp for the Petrified Forest"
- "Petrified Forest National Park"
- "Holbrook, AZ"
- "Home of the Petrified Forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Holbrook
- Hotels in Holbrook
- Restaurants in Holbrook
- Shopping in Holbrook
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Holbrook
- 10 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Holbrook?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Holbrook
- Posted in Travel Breda Forum "Re: Phnom Kulen "
- Commented on one of vtveen's Holbrook travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Petrified Forest Nat. Park – Painted Desert Inn"
- Wrote a Review ... very affordable ... in Holbrook Hotels
- created a Holbrook Travel Page "Holbrook – somewhere in the middle of nowhere"
Photos in HolbrookSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos