"Chile - very diverse scenery" Chile by vtveen
Chile Travel Guide: 4,891 reviews and 13,536 photos
Chile was the second country on our around the world trip. Because we had to make our choices we ‘only’ could visit three regions ( Maggalanes, Santiago and Easter Island) and some more destinations. These parts are so completely different from each other, so it does not make sense to compare them.
Chile was a lot more expensive than Argentina, especially lodging, dining and travelling - mostly by plane because of the huge distances between the destinations.
We reached Chile by bus from El Calafate in Argentina and the first impression of the country was the town of Puerto Natales. A small town, located on the Fiordo Ultima Esperanza with the Andes Mountains in the background. But Puerto Natales is particularly well known as gateway to Torres del Paine National Park. This park offers fantastic scenery and we really regret not having spent more time IN the park. Although we just made one day trip by car, it was still possible to get a good (first) impression of the natural beauty.
Punta Arenas, also in Magallanes, is more a real town without offering too much to tourists. A lot of them will use the town as a transport hub, because its airport with connections to Santiago and also Ushuaia in Argentina.
In the Chilean summer it is possible to visit penguin colonies around Punta Arenas.
Santiago, capital of Chile, is a real metropolis with all the discomforts like overcrowded shopping streets, crazy traffic and pollution. We really found the city itself didn’t have too much to offer for tourists, besides some ‘must see’s’ in the centre. But it is rather easy to escape the hustle and bustle and to make interesting side trips to Valparaiso or the Andes Mountains.
Easter Island, although part of Chile, is a completely different world. So remote, fascinating, mysterious, mystic and impressive. Almost unbelievable and that is why I do have (also) a separate Easter Island page.
Tips: are clustered around the destinations we visited with also a couple of general tips.
Picture - clockwise: guanaco in Torres del Paine National Park; gaucho’s in Cajon del Maipo; penguin chick in Seno Otway; wild horses on Easter Island.
- Pros:diverse scenery, safe, not too many tourists
- Cons:rather expensive (for South America), far away
- In a nutshell:I can not catch Chile in ONE sentence.
Pisco is the national drink of Chile (and Peru) and is a rather strong drink (35% alc.) distilled of muscat grapes, with... more travel advice
The main reasom for us to visit rapa Nuis were the moai, which can be seen all over Easter Island. On this place just a... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Chile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHILE---A Surprising Country!"
- "Chile - A gifted land"
- "Chile - Land of fabulous contrasts"
- "Land of the Guanaco"
- "* A DISTANT BUT FRIENDLY COUNTRY *"
- "Chile - very diverse scenery"
- "Mission : Fireland - Vers la Tiera de Fuego..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chile
- Hotels in Chile
- Transportation in Chile
- Nightlife in Chile
- Restaurants in Chile
- Shopping in Chile
- Warnings and Dangers in Chile
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chile
- 102 Reviews
- 276 Photos
- 254 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Chile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chile
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 98 reviews, 420 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Chile hotels
- Santiago Hotels
- 948 Reviews - 2197 Photos
- Valparaíso Hotels
- 313 Reviews - 835 Photos
- Antofagasta Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 75 Photos
- Torres del Paine Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 294 Photos
- San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 634 Photos
- Punta Arenas Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 430 Photos
- Arica Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Concepción Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Chuquicamata Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Puerto Montt Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Osorno Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 53 Photos
- Viña del Mar Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 221 Photos
- Puerto Natales Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 320 Photos
- Pucón Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 136 Photos
- Pichilemu Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 11 Photos