"Isaan, unknown Thailand" Top 5 Page for this destination Northeastern Thailand by vtveen
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide: 843 reviews and 2,918 photos
Everybody knows Bangkok, the islands in the south of Thailand or Chiang Mai in north of the country. But Isaan in the northeast is more or less unknown and we didn’t see many tourists during our auto tour through a part of this province.
Isaan is easy accessible from Bangkok either by train or plane to Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. We took the night train to Khon Kaen and started in this ‘silk capital’ of Isaan; mostly because there was an office of Budget on the airport to pick up our car.
It was very easy to drive in this part of Thailand and we felt free to make some side trips and to discover rural parts of this province. Cities like Khon Kaen, Nong Khai and Loei are still rather quiet and offer common Thai life, without the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.
To be honest most of the scenery is not spectacular, except the national parks around Loei, where we visited Phu Rua National Park. This part of Isaan has also the most important winery of the country: ‘Chateau de Loei”.
It is possible to make a loop drive through Isaan, along the Mekong River and back to Nong Khai, but we continued to Phitsanulok - just across the border of Isaan - and I have added one tip about the Buddha Image Factory in this town.
- Pros:quiet, no tourists, friendly people
- Cons:disappointing scenery
- In a nutshell:trip through rural and unexpected Thailand
During our stay in Bangkok and Isaan we had seen a lot of Buddha images in shops and markets, but till yet we had resist... more travel advice
Rather close to the Phu Rua National Park lies the most important vineyard of Thailand: Phu Rua Wanothayan Vineyard /... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Amazing and Never to be Forgotten trip in KhonKae"
- "Pak Isan - Almost A Best Kept Secret"
- "Isaan, unknown Thailand"
- "Isaan in the North East of Thailand"
- "North-East of Thailand"
- "Isan - Almost a Best Kept Secret and Si Chiang Mai"
- "Driving around Issan - Our 10 day road trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northeastern Thailand
- Hotels in Northeastern Thailand
- Transportation in Northeastern Thailand
- Nightlife in Northeastern Thailand
- Restaurants in Northeastern Thailand
- Shopping in Northeastern Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Northeastern Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northeastern Thailand
- 17 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (82)
Have you been to Northeastern Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northeastern Thailand
- Posted in Travel Oberammergau Forum "Re: How long is needed?"
- updated a Northeastern Thailand Travel Page "Isaan, unknown Thailand"
- Uploaded a Photo to ".... basic and cheap guesthouse ...."
- Wrote a Review Phitsanulok - Buranathai Buddha Image Factory in Northeastern Thailand Things to Do
- Commented on one of AlbuqRay's Northeastern Thailand travel pages
Photos in Northeastern ThailandSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 45 reviews, 198 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos