"Isaan, unknown Thailand" Top 5 Page for this destination Northeastern Thailand by vtveen

Northeastern Thailand Travel Guide: 856 reviews and 2,947 photos

Auto tour through rural Thailand

Everybody knows Bangkok, the islands in the south of Thailand or Chiang Mai in north of the country. But Isaan in the northeast is more or less unknown and we didn’t see many tourists during our auto tour through a part of this province.

Isaan is easy accessible from Bangkok either by train or plane to Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. We took the night train to Khon Kaen and started in this ‘silk capital’ of Isaan; mostly because there was an office of Budget on the airport to pick up our car.

It was very easy to drive in this part of Thailand and we felt free to make some side trips and to discover rural parts of this province. Cities like Khon Kaen, Nong Khai and Loei are still rather quiet and offer common Thai life, without the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.
To be honest most of the scenery is not spectacular, except the national parks around Loei, where we visited Phu Rua National Park. This part of Isaan has also the most important winery of the country: ‘Chateau de Loei”.

It is possible to make a loop drive through Isaan, along the Mekong River and back to Nong Khai, but we continued to Phitsanulok - just across the border of Isaan - and I have added one tip about the Buddha Image Factory in this town.

• Pros:quiet, no tourists, friendly people
  • Cons:disappointing scenery
  • In a nutshell:trip through rural and unexpected Thailand
  • Last visit to Northeastern Thailand: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2007

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hello again Jaap. Thanks for sharing, I did not know Thailand had vineyards.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 11:23 AM

very interesting pages; I've been many times; my son had 5 weeks in Buriram this summer; its the way of life that attracts

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Amazing tips of NE Thailand - Korat Plateau. Now I want to go there! :)

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Excellent, well-written tips about my favorite part of Thailand. I thought I had seen many things in Isan but you mention many wonderful places that I never heard about. There is almost no overlap in our Isan travels. Seems I must go back. :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Glad to read some really informative tips about this out-of-the-way area. Thanks for describing the overnight train trip. The newspapers here say the Mekong River is drying up -- I hope not.

• knehredlum's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Jaap, bedankt voor je foto's en uitleg over Isaan, maak niet teveel mensen nieuwsgierig, dan blijft het origineel en rustig, ik zie liever geen bussen van D-Tours langskomen bij mijn huis in NO Thailand Gr

• mim95's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Excellent overview of Issan! Love the photo of Wat Neramit Wipattasana.

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Northeastern Thailand

Have you been to Northeastern Thailand?