"Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf by vtveen
Oberstdorf Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 255 photos
After many years of ski holidays in Austria/Vorarlberg we were looking for another destination, which should be as close as possible from our country (the Netherlands), yet with good snow conditions and if possible with a varied skiing area.
After seeing the Four Hills Tournament on TV, we did quite a lot of research and decided to choose for Oberstdorf; a town in the Allgäu Alps, in the southern part of Bavaria and close to Kleinwalsertal in Austria. Both - Oberstdorf and Kleinwalsertal - can be considered as one area for a ski-holiday. Ski passes are valid in both areas; there is ample free transportation by skibus between the different ski areas.
Pleasant town centre
One of the plus points of Oberstdorf - at least for us - was the totally unexpected pleasant town centre. It has numerous boutique and local shops, several cafes and restaurants along its pedestrian zone. If not in the mood for skiing or during bad weather there are always people strolling around and the town offers always a great atmosphere.
Oberstdorf also has a couple of museums, a beautiful parish church and some lovely chapels.
Oberstdorf turned out to be a very pleasant and charming town, with sufficient ski - perhaps not the best of the Alps - and other facilities. We are absolutely satisfied with our ‘new’ ski destination.
Oberstdorf offers five different ski areas, which have all their own character and charm. Nebelhorn area has Germany’s highest ski runs. Fellhorn/Kanzelwand offers the largest number of lifts and lies on the border between Germany and Austria. Söllereck has easy slopes and is an eldorado for children and families. The lifts of the Heuberg Arena (in Austria) are located more or less in the valley, but do have a connection to the Walmendingerhorn. Hoher Ifen (also Austria) lies a little bit further away and offers very spacious runs and wonderful scenery.
The so called 'Hörnerdörfer' are located not (too) far away from Oberstdorf and offer a number of smaller ski areas. See for more info: http://www.hoernerdoerfer.de/
Oberstdorf offers much more than just downhill skiing. It is also famous for its cross country facilities on numerous tracks. We also saw a lot of people hiking in the valley, but there are also walking paths high in the mountains (Nebelhorn, Söllereck and Hoher Ifen). Nearby Breitachklamm is - especially in winter - a breathtaking natural phenomenon. The town offers also two ski jumping arenas, which can be visited.
If the weather isn’t that good, just enjoy a warm spa in the Oberstdorf Therme, or take a look in the figure skating rink or do some skating by yourself.
- Pros:a lot of ski and other activities
- Cons:driving in town can be a puzzle
- In a nutshell:pleasant town for a nice holiday
Finding a ski rental shop in Oberstdorf is quite easy, as there are many of them scattered around the town. Most of them... more travel advice
In a couple of places in and around Oberstdorf are exhibits called ‘Bergschau’. These ‘mountain looking’ places give... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Oberstdorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oberstdorf, surrounded by mountains."
- "Oberstdorf - surrounded by mountains you can't see"
- "Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort"
- "Hiking as an adventure"
- "Nebelhorn's top and roundtrip Rubi"
- "Breitachklamm in winter - A fairytale of ice"
- "An excursion to Oberstdorf and the Breitach gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oberstdorf
- Hotels in Oberstdorf
- Transportation in Oberstdorf
- Restaurants in Oberstdorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Oberstdorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberstdorf
- 23 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Oberstdorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberstdorf
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Groningen, Drenthe,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "feels like at home"
- Wrote a Review Sport und Mode Brutscher – excellent and reliable in Oberstdorf Favorites
- Commented on one of vtveen's Oberstdorf tips
- updated a Oberstdorf Travel Page "Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort"
Photos in OberstdorfSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 304 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 29 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 16 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 14 reviews, 62 photos
No friends yet.