"Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf by vtveen
Oberstdorf Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 238 photos
After many years of ski holidays in Austria/Vorarlberg we were looking for another destination, which should be as close as possible from our country (the Netherlands), yet with good snow conditions and if possible with a varied skiing area.
After seeing the Four Hills Tournament on TV, we did quite a lot of research and decided to choose for Oberstdorf; a town in the Allgäu Alps, in the southern part of Bavaria and close to Kleinwalsertal in Austria. Both - Oberstdorf and Kleinwalsertal - can be considered as one area for a ski-holiday. Ski passes are valid in both areas; there is ample free transportation by skibus between the different ski areas.
Pleasant town centre
One of the plus points of Oberstdorf - at least for us - was the totally unexpected pleasant town centre. It has numerous boutique and local shops, several cafes and restaurants along its pedestrian zone. If not in the mood for skiing or during bad weather there are always people strolling around and the town offers always a great atmosphere.
Oberstdorf also has a couple of museums, a beautiful parish church and some lovely chapels.
Oberstdorf turned out to be a very pleasant and charming town, with sufficient ski - perhaps not the best of the Alps - and other facilities. We are absolutely satisfied with our ‘new’ ski destination.
Oberstdorf offers five different ski areas, which have all their own character and charm. Nebelhorn area has Germany’s highest ski runs. Fellhorn/Kanzelwand offers the largest number of lifts and lies on the border between Germany and Austria. Söllereck has easy slopes and is an eldorado for children and families. The lifts of the Heuberg Arena (in Austria) are located more or less in the valley, but do have a connection to the Walmendingerhorn. Hoher Ifen (also Austria) lies a little bit further away and offers very spacious runs and wonderful scenery.
Oberstdorf turned out to offer much more than just downhill skiing. It is also famous for its cross country facilities on numerous tracks. We also saw a lot of people hiking in the valley, but there are also walking paths high in the mountains (Nebelhorn, Söllereck and Hoher Ifen). Nearby Breitachklamm is - especially in winter - a breathtaking natural phenomenon. The town offers also two ski jumping arenas, which can be visited.
If the weather isn’t that good, just enjoy a warm spa in the Oberstdorf Therme, or take a look in the figure skating rink or do some skating by yourself.
- Pros:a lot ski and other activities
- Cons:driving in town can be a puzzle
- In a nutshell:pleasant town for a nice holiday
Already in the year of 1471 a chapel was built in the village of Riezlern (Kleinwalsertal) on the location of the... more travel advice
We had dinner in several restaurants in Oberstdorf. In this tip I will give my personal experiences with them and add a... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Oberstdorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oberstdorf, surrounded by mountains."
- "Oberstdorf - surrounded by mountains you can't see"
- "Hiking as an adventure"
- "Nebelhorn's top and roundtrip Rubi"
- "Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort"
- "Breitachklamm in winter - A fairytale of ice"
- "An excursion to Oberstdorf and the Breitach gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oberstdorf
- Hotels in Oberstdorf
- Transportation in Oberstdorf
- Restaurants in Oberstdorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Oberstdorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberstdorf
- 17 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (76)
Have you been to Oberstdorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberstdorf
- Posted in Travel Sevilla Forum "Re: What to see in a day only?"
- Wrote a Review Maria Opferung -beautiful church in Kleinwalsertal in Oberstdorf Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Maria Opferung -beautiful church in Kleinwalsertal"
- updated a Oberstdorf Travel Page "Oberstdorf, more than a ski resort"
Photos in OberstdorfSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Groningen Intro, 32 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 24 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 26 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 17 reviews, 69 photos