"Apeldoorn, my hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn by vtveen
Apeldoorn Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 1,081 photos
Apeldoorn has about 150.000 inhabitants and is the 10th city of the Netherlands. So it is more or less a city, with all facilities belonging to it, like a huge town hall, a brand new theatre, excellent library, some museums, nice shopping malls and a spectacular indoor sporting facility.
On the other hand it is still a village: no students, no real nightlife, deserted streets after shopping time, no real historical buildings/houses and last but not least it doesn't have city rights.
Apeldoorn is situated next to one of the biggest scenic areas of our country, called 'the Veluwe', with forest, heath and sand hills. There are lots of tracks, walks and cycle tracks. Accessible by car and only 15 minutes away with a bike. As you know (perhaps) every Dutchman has at least one bicycle.
On the east side lies the 'IJssel Valley', a landscape with small meadows, groves, little streams and some (water)mills. Stretching to the river IJssel, streaming trough typical Dutch landscape.
Apeldoorn lies more or less in the middle of the country. All the highlights (or west, east, north or south) are within easy reach from my city (or village), also for day trips. All together an ideal place to live.
The main attraction in Apeldoorn is 'Paleis Het Loo' (Palace Het Loo), nowadays a famous museum, which attracts lots of visitors (www.paleishetloo.nl).
Another great spot is the 'Apenheul' (www.apenheul.nl), a monkey zoo, where some monkeys walk around freely between the visitors. Located close to the city centre is CODA, a museum with a mixture between 'old' Apeldoorn and 'modern' art (www.coda-apeldoorn.nl).
For the kids we do have in our city:
- 'Koninging Juliana Toren', an amusement park (www.julianatoren.nl);
- 'Malkenschoten', a children's farm (www.malkenschoten.nl);
- 'Boschbad', a beautiful outdoor swimming pool (http://www.accres.nl/zwembaden/openluchtbad-boschbad/).
About 15 km's away you will find the 'Kroller Muller Museum' (www.kmm.nl), with an extensive collection of paintings by Vincent van Gogh and an outdoor sculpture garden.
But Apeldoorn does have also a lot of hidden and unexpected gems, like(water)mills, monuments, small villages, nice scenery and some castles. I will try to add as much as possible of these 'off the beaten path' sites on my page.
Apeldoorn the most 'Canadian' city outside Canada.
On May 2, 2000 a monument Man With Two Hats was unveiled to mark the 55th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands and to serve as a lasting reminder of the role of Canadians in securing freedom.
Two years later a replica of the statue was unveiled in Ottawa. And as the artist did intend this two statues are now bond on VT with a link to a picture on an Ottawa page of VT-member 'Kathryn'.
Since 1985 Apeldoorn had every five years a big street parade of war veterans from Canada (and other countries). Perhaps May 9th 2015 was the last parade, because in the meantime the war veterans have become very old. But whoi knows !!
But Apeldoorn will show its gratitude with a Liberation Festival, which was hold for the first time this year (2010) after the Veterans Parade.
Pictures of the impressive parades of 2005, 2010 and 2015 are on my travelogues.
- Pros:in the middle of nice scenery, still a 'village'
- In a nutshell:Apeldoorn has a central location and lots of facilities for a break or holiday.
‘De Kathedraal’ (The Cathedral) is most probably the most hidden artwork in the Netherlands, being tucked away in the... more travel advice
The Beekbergerwoud was home to the last primary forest of the Netherlands, which was cut down in 1871. It was a swampy... more travel advice
- See All Raadhuisplein - pleasant sidewalk cafés
- See All Find your way in the town
- See All Royal Gifts from 'Het Loo'
- See All Easy accessible
vtveen's Related Pages
Apeldoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Apeldoorn, my hometown"
- "Apeldoorn, my hometown"
- "Apeldoorn and het Loo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apeldoorn
- Hotels in Apeldoorn
- Transportation in Apeldoorn
- Nightlife in Apeldoorn
- Restaurants in Apeldoorn
- Shopping in Apeldoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Apeldoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apeldoorn
- 69 Reviews
- 308 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Apeldoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apeldoorn
- Posted in Travel Het Loo Forum "Re: Is this the location of the..."
- updated a Apeldoorn Travelogue "60 th VE-DAY - street decorations"
- Wrote a Review Apeldoorn - De Kathedraal (The Cathedral) in Apeldoorn Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Apeldoorn - De Kathedraal (The Cathedral)"
- Commented on one of vtveen's Apeldoorn tips
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 69 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 30 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 18 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
No friends yet.