"Schagen, pleasant town in the Top of North Holland" Schagen by vtveen
Schagen Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 77 photos
Schagen is a pretty old town – mentioned already in the year of 989 – in the Top of North Holland. Most probably its name comes from an Old Dutch word ‘scaga’, which means something like grove or coppice.
The town became city rights in 1415, but you will not find very old buildings in town.
The town once had a (medieval) castle, which was rebuilt in 2002 in modern style; although the original towers still exist.
Nowadays Schagen is a pleasant town with a nice shopping area (including the shopping mall Makado Centrum with 65 shops) and lots of cafés, restaurants and bars. Most of them are concentrated on or around the central square with its impressive church.
Schagen is a good starting point for exploring the surrounding area with the typical Dutch polder landscape as well as the nearby dunes and beaches of the North Sea. Especially during spring (mid April - mid May) blooming bulb fields are waiting for visitors. This is the largest contiguous area of the Netherlands with bulb fields.
Schagen has a couple of museums (Museum Vreeburg, Region Museum 1940-1945 and Museum Battle of the Somme), all with limited opening hours. Schagen is famous for its West Friesian Folklore Days organized during ten Thursdays in summer.
For more information: http://www.vvvschagen.nl/welcome.asp?lang=0
We have visited both Schagen en Texel and now realising the wonderful island of Texel is a doable daytrip from Schagen,... more travel advice
When visiting Schagen (and the Netherlands) do like the Dutch and move like the Dutch: by bike. It is very easy,... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Schagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schagen, pleasant town in the Top of North Holland"
- "Soooooooo Netherlands!!!!!!!!!!!"
- "Traditional costumes in Schagen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schagen
- Hotels in Schagen
- Transportation in Schagen
- Restaurants in Schagen
- Shopping in Schagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schagen
- 12 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Schagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schagen
- Posted in Travel El Calafate Forum "Re: Transportation"
- Wrote a Review Texel - less than 90 minutes from Schagen in Schagen Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alkmaar - inevitable cheese market"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Schagen travel pages
- updated a Schagen Travel Page "Schagen, pleasant town in the Top of North Holland"
Photos in SchagenSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 25 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 13 reviews, 60 photos
- Sankt Gallenkirch Intro, 16 reviews, 56 photos
No friends yet.