"Texel, seven villages and more …." Top 5 Page for this destination Texel by vtveen
Texel Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 496 photos
Texel is one of the Dutch ‘Wadden Eilanden’ and is just 4,5 km’s from the mainland of Noord Holland and the ferry between Den Helder and the island is the only way to reach Texel (although there is also a small airport).
Texel already became city rights in the year of 1415 and originally existed of two islands, connected by shoals. In the 17th century the islands were poldered together.
Nowadays these polders are still the main part of the island with lots of sheep in the meadows. Texel has - during spring - also some bulb fields. In the western part you will find the nature reserves and the famous Dutch dunes and 28 km’s of lovely beaches. The dune landscape on Texel is a unique habitat for wildlife; particularly in winter, when birds of prey and geese take up residence.
Texel has seven villages - Den Burg, De Koog, De Cocksdorp, Oudeschild, De Waal, Den Hoorn and Oosterend - and several small settlements, often just a couple of houses or farms.
Texel is rather small - about 9,5 km’s wide and 24 km’s long - and therefore ideal to explore on a bicycle. Especially in summer you will see a lot of bikes; the island has 10.000 bikes for rent !!
We visited Texel for a couple of days in the winter, taking advantage of a very cheap offer from Hotel De Lindeboom. We were very lucky with the weather - only blue skies and sunshine - and could visit a lot of the sights of the island.
Visitors (yearly): 800.000
Rental bikes: 10.000
Bird species: 336
Flower and plant species: 1358
Between the villages of Den Burg, Den Hoorn and Oudeschild lies a more or less hilly landscape (at least it is hilly for... more travel advice
It is also called Lighthouse Eierland, named after the island of Eierland, on of the two former islands, which were... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Texel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Texel, where the wind always blows."
- "Sun, sea and sheep!"
- "Texel, seven villages and more …."
- "WELCOME TO MY TEXEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "Sheep, shrimp, seagulls, shores, sea, and scenery"
- "Texel : the nature and bike lovers paradise!"
- "Holland in miniature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texel
- Hotels in Texel
- Transportation in Texel
- Nightlife in Texel
- Restaurants in Texel
- Shopping in Texel
- Warnings and Dangers in Texel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texel
- 17 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Texel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texel
Photos in TexelSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 69 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 30 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 18 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
No friends yet.