"Vijlen, Dutch ‘mountain’ village" Vijlen by vtveen
Vijlen Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 32 photos
Vijlen is a small village in the southern part of the Province of Limburg. The name is generally believed to be derived from the Roman word 'villa' or 'villare' (farm estate or 'belonging to a farm estate').
The village is located in the ‘Dutch mountains’ and with its height of 200 meters above sea level it is considered to be the highest situated village/town in the Netherlands. Even 60 meters higher one can find the only Dutch mountain café ‘‘t Hijgend Hert’.
Vijlen itself doesn’t have much to offer to tourists. Perhaps the St. Martinus Church, built by architect C. Weber and finished in 1872, which is located in the centre. We could see a glimpse of the interior just before a Sunday service, but it is not as nicely decorated as a lot of other catholic churches. Beside it has just limited opening hours. The tower of the church - 253 meters above sea level - reaches high above the landscape and can be seen from ‘everywhere’.
Tourists come to Vijlen for biking, hiking, visiting nearby sights and enjoying the nice hill scenery and the quietness of the area. Aachen with its famous cathedral is less than 10 km’s from Vijlen and the Vaalserberg - highest 'mountain' of the Netherlands - with the ‘Drielandenpunt’ belong to the same municipality. Maastricht, the ‘capital’ of southern Netherlands and Valkenburg are between 10 and 25 km’s away. A little bit further one can find the scenic areas of the Eifel (Germany) and Ardennes (Belgium).
- Pros:quietness, scenic landscape
- In a nutshell:Nice place for exploring neighbouring towns and scenic areas
We never had been to the caves of Valkenburg in the Dutch province of Limburg and after heard/read some rather good... more travel advice
The southern part of the province of Limburg has a lot of hills (for us Dutchies it is almost mountainous) Close to... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Vijlen Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vijlen
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Vijlen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vijlen
- Posted in Travel Schermerhorn Forum "Re: Windmills in Schermerhorn"
- updated a Vijlen Travel Page "Vijlen, Dutch ‘mountain’ village"
- Wrote a Review Valkenburg - Christmas Market in Vijlen Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Valkenburg - Christmas Market"
- Commented on one of dutchboycalledjan's Vijlen travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 69 reviews, 311 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Friesland Intro, 34 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Gelderland Intro, 30 reviews, 142 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oberstdorf Intro, 23 reviews, 86 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island Intro, 22 reviews, 79 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 18 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 17 reviews, 71 photos
- Provincie Groningen Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Noord-Holland Intro, 15 reviews, 66 photos
No friends yet.