Patmos Island Off The Beaten Path Tips by vtveen Top 5 Page for this destination
Patmos Island Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 9 photos
Chora has a lot of impressive mansions, mostly built on the Skala –side of the hill. Ship owners and merchants were living in these houses and they could watch their ships coming back home in the harbour of Skala.
Some of them along the road to the monastery now houses shops and you can take a look inside and see parts of these impressive buildings. One of these houses, just where you are leaving the road and turn off to the right on the stairway, belonged to our ancestors and nowadays still is named the Paleologo-home. At the back the house is adjacent to the monastery.
In 1830 it was donated by one of the Paleologo’s to the Monastery, which used it last century it as a guesthouse for their visitors. Nowadays the house is let and used as a summer residence. Although we tried to find the housekeeper, we didn’t succeed and couldn’t take a quick look inside.
If anyone knows more about this Paleologo family or the Paleologo-home on Patmos please contact me.
Monastery of St. John: library
The library of the Monastery of St. John was also created by the blessed Christodoulos in 1088 at the same time as the monastery itself. Nowadays it is housed in a new building, but has the same style as the other buildings. It is considered being one of the most important libraries of the Orthodox Church. It contains more than 1000 manuscript codices, roughly 5000 books and 13.000 documents about the history of the monastery and Patmos. Today, organised according to the modern methods of library science, it is available to scholars of Byzantine history.
In every brochure or book about Patmos and the Monastery one can read about the famous library. And it looks like this library can be visited by public, but actually is an absolute ‘off the beaten path’ site and only accessible for students and on invitation.
In our search for our Paleologo ancestors we brought some more than 200 years old documents (copies) with stamps of the monastery. We showed them to a monk and they were very interested. So we were invited by the librarian and we were able to take a look behind the massive doors inside the library of St. John’s Monastery.
We saw the room with the books and original manuscripts and in an office closets with original documents, among them a couple of our ancestors. We were even allowed to make some pictures.
All together it was a remarkable and unexpected visit to this really off the beaten path place.
More Reviews (20)
vtveen's Related Pages
Patmos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Patmos – the holy island of my wife's ancestors"
- "Patmos, the sacred island"
- "Patmos - I remember when Greece was like this!"
- "Patmos is Bliss"
- "Island of Patmos - ÍÞóïò ÐÜôìïò"
- "Island of Patmos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patmos Island
- Hotels in Patmos Island
- Transportation in Patmos Island
- Restaurants in Patmos Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Patmos Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Betatakin Overlook Hotels
- Najran Hotels
- Berdyansk Hotels
- Ramingdorf Hotels
- Chartres Off The Beaten Path
- Athlone Off The Beaten Path
- Hampshire Off The Beaten Path
- Delft Off The Beaten Path
- Kirkenes Off The Beaten Path
- Rotterdam Off The Beaten Path
- Nara City
- Vis Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Stratford-upon-Avon Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Canyon Off The Beaten Path
- Other Islands
Badges & Stats in Patmos Island
- 22 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Patmos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patmos Island
- Posted in Travel Vaassen Forum "Re: De Leest Restaurant"
- updated a Patmos Island Travel Page "Patmos – the holy island of my wife's ancestors"
- Commented on one of Elenitsa's Patmos Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Paleologo-home in Patmos Island Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Library of the Monastery of St. John"
Photos in Patmos IslandSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos