"Samos, a remarkable green and flowery island" Top 5 Page for this destination Samos by vtveen
Samos Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 413 photos
The island of Samos is part of the North Eastern Aegean Islands and is located close to Turkey (separated by the narrow Mykale Straits) and just north of the islands of the Dodecanese, like Patmos.
Samos has an area of 468 km2, is 43 km's long and 13 km's wide and has a population of 42.000 people.
Samos can be reached from Europe (and Athens) by plane through the airport of Pythagorio and is connected with other Greek islands and Piraeus by ferries to the harbours of Karlovassi or Vathy (Samos City). In summer season there are ‘flying dolphins’ sailing to Kusadasi (Turkey) and Patmos.
When possible try to visit Samos in the month of May. During this time the island is full of flowers. Bougainvilleas in the towns and villages, red poppies and other wild flowers on the slopes of the green mountains on the north side and yellow broom bushes in the western part of the island.
Beside it was nowhere overcrowded (or even quiet) and the temperatures were still very pleasant.
For more pictures of Samos see flickr photopage.
Vathy is the capital of the island and the biggest town. It is built on the hills surrounding the bay with its harbour, with ferries and cruise ships (dis)embarking. Most authentic is the old part of Vathy with narrow streets winding uphill between old houses.
Pythagorio- named after the famous philosopher Pythagoras - is the main tourist resort, close to Samos Airport and with a picturesque harbour. It has some beaches nearby and lots of bars and restaurants are scattered along the harbour.
Kokkari, on the north side of the island, is also an important tourist destination with its long beach and is located nearby the green mountains. It does attract beach lovers as well as hikers.
Karlovasi once was the commercial capital of the island, but nowadays the tanneries stand still. It is the second large town of Samos, but rather authentic without the crowds of tourists. Nowadays it has a university.
Samos is quite mountainous: the highest peak in the western part is the Kerkis Mountain, (1434 m) and in the center of the island lies the Ambelos peak (1150 m).
Samos is a very fertile island and parts are covered with fruit and olive trees and vineyards (for the famous Samian wine). Samos has still - despite of the fires of years ago - a lot of forests. But most spectacular are the wild flowers - especially the dark red poppies - on the slopes of the mountains; all together a totally unexpected, but very interesting and beautiful landscape.
Small villages - Vourliotes, Platanos, Manolates, Pnaka, Tsourlei - are scattered in the mountains and mostly built around one of the many springs. They are connected to each other by walkways with great views of the landscape and the deep blue sea around Samos.
- Pros:fantastic green and flowery landscape, rather authentic, not overcrowded (during our visit)
- In a nutshell:unexpected nice and beautiful island with very friendly people
Samos is - in spite of the forest fires of some years ago - still a very mountainous green island with lots of (pine)... more travel advice
This is remarkable church, because it was the only Orthodox Church on the island which was built in a more or less... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Samos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Samos - For The Scenery"
- "Samos, a remarkable green and flowery island"
- "The Island of Pythagoras"
- "Northern accents in southern Aegean"
- "Samos 2004"
- "Not so pretty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samos
- Hotels in Samos
- Transportation in Samos
- Nightlife in Samos
- Restaurants in Samos
- Shopping in Samos
- Warnings and Dangers in Samos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samos
- 26 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Samos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samos
Photos in SamosSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos