"Alberta - between plains and mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta by vtveen
Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,928 reviews and 10,417 photos
Alberta is perhaps Canada’s province with the most diverse scenery, varying from the vast plains in the eastern part - adjacent to Saskatchewan - to the Rocky Mountains in the western part of the province. Besides it has two of the bigger cities of Canada: Edmonton - the capital and having one of the most famous shopping malls in the country - and Calgary - the biggest - with one of the fastest speed skating ice rinks of the world (for us Dutchies a ‘must see’).
Alberta is one of the richest provinces of Canada, having huge oil fields. When driving through the province we saw everywhere signs of this ‘black gold’ in the landscape.
My ‘things to do’ tips will follow anti-clockwise our trip through Alberta (and SK) starting with Drumheller, the plains, the ghost town of Rowley, Edmonton, back along the stunning Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff in the majestic and impressive Rockies to finish in Calgary.
It is almost inevitable to use a (rental) car to discover the province. As everywhere in Canada the distances are rather huge and besides this using a car is more convenient and we felt flexible to go and stop where we wanted, also to more ‘off the beaten path’ destinations.
- Pros:nature, scenery, friendly people
- Cons:huge distances
- In a nutshell:fantastic province for a road trip
Banff National Park is the oldest National Park of Canada and is famous for its impressive scenery all over the world.... more travel advice
Rowley is one of Alberta’s ghost towns, although not completely deserted. There are still 10 or 15 people living. Some... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Province of Alberta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- "The Wonder of Alberta"
- "This Province Has it All"
- "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- "AWESOME ALBERTA"
- "Alberta: God's Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Alberta
- Hotels in Province of Alberta
- Transportation in Province of Alberta
- Nightlife in Province of Alberta
- Restaurants in Province of Alberta
- Shopping in Province of Alberta
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Alberta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta
- 61 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 43 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Province of Alberta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Alberta
- Posted in Travel Vaassen Forum "Re: De Leest Restaurant"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Banff National Park – great scenery"
- Wrote a Review Banff National Park – great scenery in Province of Alberta Favorites
- created a Province of Alberta Travel Page "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Province of Alberta travel pages
Photos in Province of AlbertaSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Province of Alberta hotels
- Edmonton Hotels
- 609 Reviews - 1001 Photos
- Banff Hotels
- 467 Reviews - 989 Photos
- Canmore Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Calgary Hotels
- 1066 Reviews - 1918 Photos
- Okotoks Hotels
- 1 Review - 9 Photos
- Banff National Park Hotels
- 791 Reviews - 1541 Photos
- Jasper Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Waterton Lakes National Park Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Fort McMurray Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 139 Photos
- Red Deer Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Lake Louise Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Stettler Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos
- Medicine Hat Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Drumheller Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 205 Photos
- Cold Lake Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 49 Photos