"Alberta - between plains and mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta by vtveen

Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,967 reviews and 10,531 photos

Alberta is perhaps Canada’s province with the most diverse scenery, varying from the vast plains in the eastern part - adjacent to Saskatchewan - to the Rocky Mountains in the western part of the province. Besides it has two of the bigger cities of Canada: Edmonton - the capital and having one of the most famous shopping malls in the country - and Calgary - the biggest - with one of the fastest speed skating ice rinks of the world (for us Dutchies a ‘must see’).

Alberta is one of the richest provinces of Canada, having huge oil fields. When driving through the province we saw everywhere signs of this ‘black gold’ in the landscape.

My ‘things to do’ tips will follow anti-clockwise our trip through Alberta (and SK) starting with Drumheller, the plains, the ghost town of Rowley, Edmonton, back along the stunning Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff in the majestic and impressive Rockies to finish in Calgary.

It is almost inevitable to use a (rental) car to discover the province. As everywhere in Canada the distances are rather huge and besides this using a car is more convenient and we felt flexible to go and stop where we wanted, also to more ‘off the beaten path’ destinations.

• Pros:nature, scenery, friendly people
  • Cons:huge distances
  • In a nutshell:fantastic province for a road trip
  • Intro Written Mar 7, 2007

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Enjoyed my trip around Alberta with you. No bear for us when we were there but a moose and - the biggest thrill - a mountain lion! Fantastic! I'm another fan of ghost towns - we have a few here in the west. leyle

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM

A most helpful and informative page. Thank you.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Great page. I visited all of those places 20 years ago. I loved those Alberta ghost towns and grain elevators. There is a web site called Ghost Towns Canada that I've uploaded a few photos to.

• poeticview23's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Outstanding photos and tips have me so enthused about my 2008 trip. You have given me new ideas! Have you seen hoodoos in Utah?

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Very nice overview about Alberta. I have a photo of the Athabaska Falls from the same spot as yours.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Great tips and pictures on the National Parks! Thanks for the info, would like to see it one day

vtveen

“"The beauty lies in the travelling, not in the destination" (The Convent Inn, Val Marie SK, Canada)”

Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta

Have you been to Province of Alberta?