"Ontario, huge metropolis and unspoiled scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario by vtveen
Province of Ontario Travel Guide: 11,644 reviews and 27,829 photos
Ontario – Canada’s second largest province – has it all. On one side it is by far the most populated province and on the other side it offers a lot of great scenery and (almost) remote areas. For us this mixture is the attraction of Ontario: one day we were shopping in a huge shopping mall and the other day just hiking through a breathtaking coloured fall forest.
Toronto, Ontario’s capital, is a huge metropolis with millions of inhabitants. Of course it has a vibrant city life, but the traffic jams (at least during rush hours) are really terrible. We do like Ottawa much more with its parks, canals, the Ottawa River and some impressive monuments. Skyscrapers are not that high and people seem more relaxed.
We discovered a lot of unexpected, almost un-Canadian, villages. Some of them - Unionville and Kleinburg – are just a stone’s throw from Toronto. Merrickville calls itself "Canada’s most beautiful village"; don’t know if it is the truth, but it was most charming. And what about Niagara-on-the-Lake, just lovely.
The Niagara Falls are perhaps Canada’s most well known tourist destination. Going north from Toronto we travelled trough Muskoka and Algonquin Park with fantastic scenery. Just outside Ottawa - I know it is in Quebec - is Gatineau Park with the amazing Mackenzie King Estate.
We also made a bike tour at Prince Edward County along the remarkable Sandbanks Provincial Park and saw the stunning scenery of the “1000 Islands”.
We visited Ontario twice. Our first visit was a ‘normal’ summer holiday, but we came back just to discover the magnificent fall colours in Ontario. We made an auto tour from Toronto along Huntsville, Algonquin Park, the Ottawa Valley, Gatineau Park, along Lake Ontario back to Toronto. During this trip we also visited a couple of smaller Provincial Parks (Balsam Lake, Mono Cliffs).
I have to admit: the colours are just stunning and they surpassed my wildest expectations.
The best time of the year for these fall colours in Ontario is the end of September/early October.
Algonquin Park even says: “… catch the maples at their peak in the last week of September or, occasionally, in the first few days of October”.
Founded by the brothers in law William Gooderham and James Worts, the Gooderham and Worts Distillery grew to become the... more travel advice
Being not interested in museums Toronto doesn’t have too much to offer to average tourists as we are. The best way (in... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Province of Ontario Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Driving west through the wilds"
- "Discovering Ontario"
- "Ontario, huge metropolis and unspoiled scenery"
- "Ontario, Yours to Discover"
- "Faiza`s & Ifrah`s Ontario, district by district"
- "Ontario - land of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Ontario
- Hotels in Province of Ontario
- Transportation in Province of Ontario
- Nightlife in Province of Ontario
- Restaurants in Province of Ontario
- Shopping in Province of Ontario
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Ontario
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Ontario
- 36 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 36 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (79)
Have you been to Province of Ontario?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Ontario
Photos in Province of OntarioSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos