"Arizona, breathtaking scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona by vtveen
Arizona Travel Guide: 10,588 reviews and 28,862 photos
Arizona (or better northern Arizona) was our first American destination ever. It was part of a 16 days road trip through Arizona and Utah. The more or less ‘official’ Grand Circle is a 1,400 mile circle encompassing the Four Corner states of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah with the National Parks of Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands.
But we absolutely wanted to see Petrified Forest National Park (missed these petrified trees during an Argentina visit) and after reading a lot on the internet we added more State Parks and Monuments to our own ‘custom made Grand Circle’.
Being not interested in Las Vegas we started our road trip in Phoenix, which we reached with Delta Airlines. This company offered the best fares from Europe and had a rather convenient flight schedule. Besides it has the closest international airport for visiting Petrified Forest nearby Holbrook.
Although we had read a lot and seen numerous pictures we were really surprised by the stunning and sometimes breathtaking scenery. It was not only absolutely beautiful, but also varied with every day other highlights and landscapes.
We travelled the second half of June and the weather was excellent, although especially in and around the desert of Phoenix it sometimes was too warm with temperatures of more than 110°F (43°C).
Staying, eating and travelling (June 2008) was for us - with the strong Euro - rather cheap.
The Americans we met, were very helpful and friendly. Just the native Americans could have been a 'little bit' nicer.
We only disliked the mandatory ‘tip’ - for foreigners - on a couple of our restaurant bills.
All together we had a fantastic holiday and are looking forward for a next trip to the USA.
For tips/pictures of the Utah part of our 'Grand Circle' please take a look at my Utah page.
- Pros:stunning scenery, friendly people, beautiful weather, cheap (for us)
- Cons:sometimes too hot (water, water, water ...... )
Montezuma Castle, at least the one we had seen on pictures, is one of the most spectacular cliff dwellings in Arizona... more travel advice
After our lunch and some (window-)shopping in Uptown Sedona we went off for a little bit of sightseeing around the... more travel advice
vtveen's Related Pages
Arizona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, Historic Arizona"
- "WALK IN BEAUTY"
- "Jumping Around Our Very Own State - ARIZONA!"
- "Arizona, breathtaking scenery"
- "Jumping Thelma and Louise in Arizona!!!"
- "Raising Arizona to New Heights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arizona
- Hotels in Arizona
- Transportation in Arizona
- Nightlife in Arizona
- Restaurants in Arizona
- Shopping in Arizona
- Warnings and Dangers in Arizona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arizona
- 62 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Arizona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arizona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 99 reviews, 425 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 298 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 39 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos