Sankt Gallenkirch Off The Beaten Path Tips by vtveen
Sankt Gallenkirch Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 9 photos
Bielerhöhe - Hotel Piz Buin (on a snowy day)
On one of these rainy days in Montafon we decided not for skiing, but for visiting the so called Bielerhöhe. Being sure it would raining at a height of more than 2000 metres. We had been there already in summer and autumn, but never during one of our ski holidays in winter.
We had to drive to Partenen, the last village in the Montafon Valley, taking the steep Vermuntbahn. At a height of 1700 metres we had to change into a small bus for quite an adventurous ride trough two tunnels, because the chauffeur was driving like a ‘crazy man’. The last part till the pass leaded through high snow walls and most probably the scenery is very beautiful. But we didn’t see too much, because it was foggy and snowing (indeed).
At the pass (2032 m.) are a couple of restaurants and it is even possible to get accommodation in this impressive mountain scenery. This is starting point for several cross country courses and hiking/walking trails. We walked over the frozen Lake Silvretta, which was covered with thick layer of snow. The (new) snow made it rather strenuous.
After a lunch in Hotel Piz Buin we went back to the valley (and rain) and had a excellent alternative and adventurous day trip; with our ski pass this trip was for free. We definitively will return when the weather is better enjoying the breathtaking mountain scenery.
It is possible to rent cross country ski equipment or snowshoes at Hotel Piz Buin.
Other Contact: www.buin.at
St. Gallenkirch with the St. Gallus Church
If staying in St. Gallenkirch why not visiting the St. Gallus Church; or on a rainy day or just after a day of skiing or walking in the mountains.
In the year of 1307 stood a chapel on the present location of the church in the middle of the village. The St. Gallus Church itself was built in 1474 (the choir dates back to this time) and extended in 1669. In the same year a new steeple was built. The last restoration was finished in 1999.
Although we have stayed many times in St. Gallenkirch we first visited this little gem in 2008. Outside it looks quite regular, but the interior offers a lot of different styles within one church like gothic, baroque and rococo. The church is richly decorated with frescos, images, has some beautiful paintings on the ceiling and a wood carved pulpit.
In the church you can buy a booklet with an explanation of all the images and paintings.
The church is open for visitors; use the door on the right hand side (standing on the main road in St. Gallenkirch). Holy mass: Sundays at 8.45am and 6.30pm (7.30pm in summer).
More Reviews (14)
vtveen's Related Pages
Sankt Gallenkirch Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Mariperez Hotels
- Pamukova Hotels
- Shreveport Hotels
- Bang Su Hotels
- Oswego Beach
Badges & Stats in Sankt Gallenkirch
- 16 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Sankt Gallenkirch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Gallenkirch
- Posted in Travel Argentina Forum "Re: best way to travel for a..."
- updated a Sankt Gallenkirch Travel Page "Favourite destination for skiing"
- Wrote a Review lovely apartment in Sankt Gallenkirch Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "lovely apartment"
- Commented on one of evilboomer's Sankt Gallenkirch travel pages
Photos in Sankt GallenkirchSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 98 reviews, 420 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Apeldoorn Intro, 67 reviews, 297 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 104 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 65 reviews, 220 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 61 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Salta Intro, 44 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 43 reviews, 149 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 40 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 49 reviews, 133 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Argentina Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos